Photo
- - - - -

Will The S Works Induction Pipe Fit On An Spi?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 10:48 AM

Wanted to ask if the S Works pipe would fit onto the SPI box and anyone had done this modification?

I am quite keen as I have a JDM Mini with aircon. You may recall that factory engineers thought it best to mount the ECU literally an inch away from the intake scoop inlet.

If I'm successful in doing this, I believe it may make a slight different to airflow. 

https://www.minispor...ction-pipe.html

#2 Fast Ivan

Fast Ivan

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 11:28 AM

That’s a lot of money for something that’s unlikely to produce the goods.

https://www.minispar...px|Back to shop

This on the other hand is well established and proven to work

#3 Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 02:03 PM

Sorry, should have shared that I had a JDM HKS short ram green foam filter on the car and took it off (too noisy and sucked in alot of hot engine air). Went back to the stock housing with a K&N insert filter instead. Didn't suffer any perceived power loss so I guess it didn't really add much incremental power.

Only downside is the ECU, factory mounted at an angle that is < an inch from the opening. It's definitely restricting cold air flow, which is why I'm keen to find anyone who's done this on an SPi...

Edited by Screwdriver, 03 November 2019 - 06:17 PM.

#4 Oldskoolcool

Oldskoolcool

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Local Club: SELkent mini club

Posted 03 November 2019 - 10:05 PM

Yes it will fit onto an spi air box.

I've done this on my own spi, both the mpi and spi airbox pipes are the same size internally, so it's just a simple task to swap the pipes over.

Will it make a difference power wise...... I'm not sure it makes more power but the engine does seem to pick up more smoothly and Rev a bit better higher up the Rev range.

#5 Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 10:20 PM

Many thanks for sharing. Can I ask how you installed it? Did you delete the yellow vacuum hose?

Yes it will fit onto an spi air box.

I've done this on my own spi, both the mpi and spi airbox pipes are the same size internally, so it's just a simple task to swap the pipes over.

Will it make a difference power wise...... I'm not sure it makes more power but the engine does seem to pick up more smoothly and Rev a bit better higher up the Rev range.

#6 Oldskoolcool

Oldskoolcool

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 07:52 AM

It's a really simple fit,

Remove the plastic rivet from the side of the original intake pipe , then carefully prise the original pipe off/away from the air box.

Fit the new intake pipe in place of the original, I used a little bit of sealer to make sure there were no air leaks between the pipe and the box.

The yellow vacuum hose connects back up to the air box.

Hope this helps.

#7 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 02:33 PM

Also interested but I’m a bit confused. I don’t think there’s a connection for the yellow vacuum pipe on the S style fitting, is there? The new induction pipe replaces all of the pipe beyond the filter compartment including the air valve thing (probably a proper name for it ?) that the yellow vac pipe fits into the top of.

#8 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 02:40 PM

This is my Japanese SPI engine, which has the same issue. The ECU is right in front of the air intake.

Attached Files

#9 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,406 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 04 November 2019 - 03:05 PM

That's a hell of a price for a bit of extruded ally.

The can on top will be a vacuum actuator for the warm air flap inside. It's removing that flap that's likely to give what improvement in flow there is to be had (at the cost of cold weather warm up). Just removing the spout is likely to do as well as replacing it. 

#10 Oldskoolcool

Oldskoolcool

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 09:15 PM

Also interested but I’m a bit confused. I don’t think there’s a connection for the yellow vacuum pipe on the S style fitting, is there? The new induction pipe replaces all of the pipe beyond the filter compartment including the air valve thing (probably a proper name for it ) that the yellow vac pipe fits into the top of.

Sorry my mistake ( a long while since I did it) , the yellow pipe isn't used with the works intake pipe.
Also I used the older plastic type pipe from a cannibalised MPI works airbox, and I totally agree that the cost is ridiculous for a piece of ally! I only paid 20 quid for the genuine works airbox so didn't feel too bad about cutting it up!

#11 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 05 November 2019 - 11:01 AM

To be honest neither pipe is particularly amazing for cold air flow, it's not like it's properly ducted to the front grill or anything.

Just moves the intake from the hotter part of the engine bay to the slightly cooler.

The JDM ECU is in a terrible position, but IMO you won't see any gains running the S Works pipe and for £120 it's not geat VFM.

#12 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,406 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 05 November 2019 - 11:24 AM

It might not be as bad as you think, clearance of 1/2 the radius of a round aperture gives as much area as the aperture itself. The well rounded edges will help too.

You could always chop up some 4" by 2" to make a former and bend some light gauge ally sheet round it to make you own.

#13 Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 10:50 PM

I'm pretty sure that the ECU blocks cool air that would flow during highway driving. It's just a terrible position that was chosen purely as a compromise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users