#1 Indy495

Indy495

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 05:16 PM

Hi mini experts

my son and I are close to painting our 1992 1275 BOC. 

IT HAS HAD NEW wings fitted, and I need to know what to do with the joint between the wing and scuttle panel please. 

Do I leave it asa gap, fill it or I have heard that I should use a sealant on it. 

I know it should show as a joint, but wonder how to stop water ingress.

I hope I’ve explained that ok to get some help.

cheers 

#2 spraybeater

spraybeater

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Local Club: Mcr

Posted 03 November 2019 - 06:51 PM

There are a couple of schools of thought on this, the Factory seam sealed them early on and then some

were left unsealed, I have always sealed them with drip check sealer! after epoxy priming.

As long as you have spot/plug welded the inside of the wing flange to the scuttle it should not crack, 

I have back in the day also brazed the seams just leaving the outline of the join visible and on the last

Clubman I did because the seams are quite short they were lead loaded,

As with your questions on other threads! if you search on Retirement Project Rover Sprite I have a 

full rebuild thread on there.

I hope this is of some help to you enjoy.

#3 Indy495

Indy495

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 08:42 PM

I have just looked at your post. What a fabulous job. If mine turns out a fraction as good as that I will be chuffed. I don’t have the experience you have and my son and I are doing ours together,as he is an apprentice vehicle technician. 
great to see the engine pics, and use them as reference as ours came with the engine removed.

A great help. Many thanks.

There are a couple of schools of thought on this, the Factory seam sealed them early on and then some

were left unsealed, I have always sealed them with drip check sealer! after epoxy priming.

As long as you have spot/plug welded the inside of the wing flange to the scuttle it should not crack, 

I have back in the day also brazed the seams just leaving the outline of the join visible and on the last

Clubman I did because the seams are quite short they were lead loaded,

As with your questions on other threads! if you search on Retirement Project Rover Sprite I have a 

full rebuild thread on there.

I hope this is of some help to you enjoy.

#4 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 03 November 2019 - 08:51 PM

On Project Paddy, i used aviation sealant which as part of its characteristic is corrosion proof. (PS870) This also has a high temperature differential as well. You would be hard pressed to find a better sealant. Its flexible and over paintable. Oh and its not cheap unless you are in the industry. 

Maybe not as good as lead loading but considering how much flexing a Airliner does, if properly applied PS870 will not come off. And it does not crack.

The scuttle has been welded to the wing underneath plus something which a lot of people miss is the small joining bracket that connects the wing to the A panel.

#5 wreckitralph

wreckitralph

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 10:05 AM

On Project Paddy, i used aviation sealant which as part of its characteristic is corrosion proof. (PS870) This also has a high temperature differential as well. You would be hard pressed to find a better sealant. Its flexible and over paintable. Oh and its not cheap unless you are in the industry. 

Maybe not as good as lead loading but considering how much flexing a Airliner does, if properly applied PS870 will not come off. And it does not crack.

The scuttle has been welded to the wing underneath plus something which a lot of people miss is the small joining bracket that connects the wing to the A panel.

so is it available to the public to purchase

#6 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 08:29 PM

so is it available to the public to purchase

Yes it is but its very expensive and you get it from the USA although if you hunt enough there should be a UK supplier

https://www.145.aero...ps870b2-6oz.htm

#7 MikeJE

MikeJE

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Local Club: LSMO

Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:22 PM

May I hijack this thread, please, with a similar question. I had a new o/s heritage wing fitted professionally to my mini 30 but there was a gap between the wing and the scuttle. It didn't seem to be a good fit because the curved ends of the wing were closer to the scuttle, with the centre curve having a wider gap.

The workshop filled the gap with panel filler and sprayed the wing and scuttle, but now there are cracks appearing in the paint over the filler, presumably because of movement between the wing and scuttle panels. This is noticeable because it is a black mini and the panel filler is light coloured.  Is there any way of stopping the cracking happening, please, without removing the wing and starting again? Is there a filler that won't allow the paintwork to crack, perhaps, such as the aviation sealant? Any advice gratefully received

Best wishes

Mike

#8 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:33 PM

May I hijack this thread, please, with a similar question. I had a new o/s heritage wing fitted professionally to my mini 30 but there was a gap between the wing and the scuttle. It didn't seem to be a good fit because the curved ends of the wing were closer to the scuttle, with the centre curve having a wider gap.

The workshop filled the gap with panel filler and sprayed the wing and scuttle, but now there are cracks appearing in the paint over the filler, presumably because of movement between the wing and scuttle panels. This is noticeable because it is a black mini and the panel filler is light coloured.  Is there any way of stopping the cracking happening, please, without removing the wing and starting again? Is there a filler that won't allow the paintwork to crack, perhaps, such as the aviation sealant? Any advice gratefully received

Best wishes

Mike

Mike you need to look underneath the wing where it makes contact with the scuttle there. Is it welded?? if not then this will part of the problem.

The other issue is whether the small joining bracket has been attached to the A panel to wing joint. Without this you will get flexing.

#9 MikeJE

MikeJE

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 06:51 PM

Many thanks Sonikk4. I assume it would be welded but I will get under there with a good torch to make sure. I will also look for the joining bracket. Is that called the scuttle repair panel like this one? https://www.minispor...ct/view/id/429/ or this - http://www.minispare...MS.aspx|Back to

Many thanks again

Best wishes

Mike

Edited by MikeJE, 06 November 2019 - 06:55 PM.

#10 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 11:05 PM

Many thanks Sonikk4. I assume it would be welded but I will get under there with a good torch to make sure. I will also look for the joining bracket. Is that called the scuttle repair panel like this one? https://www.minispor...ct/view/id/429/ or this - http://www.minispare...MS.aspx|Back to

Many thanks again

Best wishes

Mike

Hi Mike, no its not that panel as that's the scuttle closeout.

This what you need

https://www.minispar...|Back to search

#11 MikeJE

MikeJE

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 12:09 PM

Brilliant, thank you so much Sonikk4. I will check to see if one it installed. If not, that may be the answer to my problem re flexing, although I suspect that having one welded in now will mean a wing respray at least.

All best wishes

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users