14 replies to this topic

#1 [email protected]

[email protected]

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 09:08 AM

Hi all, I’m in the process of replacing the camshaft bearings, with LH and Centre complete. However noted the RH has an axial groove across half the bearing. As this bearing doesn’t have a obvious oil supply, I presume this groove is for that reason. Can anyone shine some light on its correct orientation

#2 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 02:01 PM

RH? i assum you mean timing gear end of the engine?/ largest bearing?

these are orientated so they pulse oil to the rockers, there is a groove in the cam thatt passes oil once per revolution, if you put ot the wrong way you get oil 100% of the time. IIRC there is a notch one side of the bearing that goes to the timing gear end of the engine.

Also you need to pull the bearings in with a suitable mandrel so they are kept straight otherwise they can close up and goe tight on the cam, you should be able to spin the cam with your fingers.

#3 [email protected]

[email protected]

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 06:54 PM

Hi Mini 13 - interested, is that how many you’ve owned.

RH according to my Haynes manual is the oil pump end, but regardless it’s the smallest.

I have made a set of mandrills to remove/fit the bearings although the timing chain end one did still close up a little and required scraping out to get a good fit.

But it is the oil pump end one that I’m concerned about as it doesn’t have an oil feed hole, and I’m assuming the small axial groove in it is for this purpose, and being next to the oil pump, I assumed it should be orientated on this side to allow oil from the pump to enter the bearing. I also suspect this groove should be at the bottom, but wanted to confirm this if possible.

#4 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 08:25 PM

oil pump end is fed from the oil pump, theres a small hole in the pump that bleeds a bit out.

mini13 was just a random username, but its more likly to be the number of metro's ive had!

#5 [email protected]

[email protected]

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 02:12 PM

Sorry,
That doesn’t fully answer my question. Which side does the groove go engine side or oil pump side and top middle or bottom

Cheers

Attached Files

#6 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 02:41 PM

Sorry,
That doesn’t fully answer my question. Which side does the groove go engine side or oil pump side and top middle or bottom

Cheers

Look at where the chamfer is on the bearing - that tells you which way around it goes in....

#7 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 02:58 PM

not seen bearing like those before, but as above , chamfer to help it into the block groove to the oil pump.

Also I would say that although probably not critical the "notch" should go at about 11 oclock as iirc thats where the notch sits on the big bearing att he other end of the block.

#8 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,918 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 05 November 2019 - 03:54 PM

Saw a picture of one on this forum today .. but can't find it now.

But I am pretty sure the slot, as marked in the picture above, is positioned on that block to the side near the push rod holes and the cut-out at the bottom. Inserted and drawn back into the block with the chamfer to the rear of the engine (oil pump face)

#9 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 03:59 PM

Think this was the one I saw .. http://www.theminifo...-rebore/page-10

Attached File  cambearing_rear.jpg   96.13K   2 downloads

#10 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 07:29 PM

Sorry,

Cheers

Look at where the chamfer is on the bearing - that tells you which way around it goes in....

So, what side do you start pulling it in ?

#11 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 08:24 PM

Sorry,

Cheers

So, what side do you start pulling it in

I have to admit that this thread has me second guessing myself. I pulled mine in from the outside-in as it aligned with the witness marks on the previous bearing and based on videos, manuals etc... but I'd welcome insight from one of our tame, professional engine builders.

#12 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,930 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:04 AM

It's neither a 'left' or 'right' Cam Bearing but the Back or Rear Cam Bearing, This terminology comes from the Front of the Engine having the Water Pump on it. This is true of just about any engine.

The slot lines up with the Oiling Hole on the Pump

PjCOrAb.jpg

#13 [email protected]

[email protected]

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 11:06 AM

Wow, seems I’ve opened up a can of worms.

Moke Spider. It’s the bearing at the oil pump end that is in question, see above the phot with the childish crayon circle and arrow. My original question was what is the correct alignment of the bearing groove.
1. Groove engine or oil pump side
2. Groove 12, 6, 3, or 9 Oclock

Gazza82
Thanks for the link, unfortunately that’s clouded the problem a little as the groove in the photo, extends across the whole face of the bearing, although it is shown at 12Oclock, so, maybe halfway there.

The groove is either to improve oil supply from the oil pump side, or the allow drainage into the engine. Either option, would I suspect require the bearing groove to be at the top 12 Oclock.

Such a simple part, but I can’t find any reference to it in any of the manuals, Haynes or workshop

#14 [email protected]

[email protected]

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:43 PM

Apologies Moke, just reread your post on a computer, rather than phone. Thanks for the phot and advice

#15 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 11:24 PM

Wow, seems I’ve opened up a can of worms.

Moke Spider. It’s the bearing at the oil pump end that is in question, see above the phot with the childish crayon circle and arrow. My original question was what is the correct alignment of the bearing groove.
1. Groove engine or oil pump side
2. Groove 12, 6, 3, or 9 Oclock

Gazza82
Thanks for the link, unfortunately that’s clouded the problem a little as the groove in the photo, extends across the whole face of the bearing, although it is shown at 12Oclock, so, maybe halfway there.

The groove is either to improve oil supply from the oil pump side, or the allow drainage into the engine. Either option, would I suspect require the bearing groove to be at the top 12 Oclock.

Such a simple part, but I can’t find any reference to it in any of the manuals, Haynes or workshop

Use Moke Spider's photo ... the one I posted might be the centre bearing looking at it again

Edited by gazza82, 06 November 2019 - 11:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users