#1 Jonrog

Jonrog

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 03:49 PM

Please help.

just bought a 98 sportspack and on the drive home realized that the speedo does not go past 50mph, proved a nightmare on the M42. It had the gearbox rebuilt by previous owner could it be something to do with that, or is there an easier fix?

also when cold it idles at 2000rpm, I know this should drop quite quickly when warm but doesn’t. Once I switched engine off and restarted it was fine at 1000rpm.

Any advice welcome

thanks

#2 mark205gti

mark205gti

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 12:04 AM

Is the speedo reading the correct speed or is it under reading? If it's not reading correctly it may have the wrong pinion and worm gear for the final drive/wheel size/and speedo type. Guessworks has a great little tool on his website to tell you what combination you need for the gearbox to read correctly.

If it is reading the speed ok up to 50mph then maybe the speedo needle is just getting stuck?

I'm not sure about the idle, maybe a sticky accelerator cable?

#3 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 05 November 2019 - 10:47 AM

With the high idle, I'd be checking for air leaks, especially vacuum hoses, gaskets and servo take off bolt

#4 Jonrog

Jonrog

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 03:41 PM

Thank you for responses.

The speedo does work fine up to 50mph so yes maybe it does get stuck.... Next question is suppose is how to tell this is the case and who could fix it?? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users