Photo

Spi Not Starting

Best Answer whistler , 09 November 2019 - 08:02 PM

The answer to the problem turned out to be loose flywheel bolt. Fitted a new locating washer, tightened the bolt.

Tried to attach a video file but forum wouldn't let me.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 12:14 PM

A friend of mine has an spi which recently had a clutch replaced by someone. The engine worked fine for a few months and then wouldn't start.

The starter would just click and do nothing. By accident someone pressed the clutch pedal down and the starter worked and the engine ran.

I've not had experience of an spi clutch but I know there's a relucter ring as part of the flywheel and a sensor poking into the housing by the starter motor. This I believe controls the ignition/ecu.

Can anyone suggest what the problem might be?

#2 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 03:14 PM

Might be worth removing and cleaning the Pickup sensor, located I believe below the starter motor. I would remove and clean the starter motor Bendix too.  Do you know if "quality" clutch components were used, or some "cheap / import" ?

#3 whistler

whistler

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 04:28 PM

Might be worth removing and cleaning the Pickup sensor, located I believe below the starter motor. I would remove and clean the starter motor Bendix too.  Do you know if "quality" clutch components were used, or some "cheap / import" ?

No idea on branding as yet. The starter works fine as long as you depress the clutch. Some friends have the wok off now and will be pulling the flywheel tomorrow. Who knows what mysteries will be revealed.

I believe they've already changesd the sensor.

#4 whistler

whistler

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:02 PM   Best Answer

The answer to the problem turned out to be loose flywheel bolt. Fitted a new locating washer, tightened the bolt.

Tried to attach a video file but forum wouldn't let me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users