#1 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:27 PM

Hi Guys,

I have a stupid question but I don't seem to be able to find the right answer: on the long term, I would like to remake my gearbox. I found a gearbox+diff for a fair price in my hood, it was mounted on a 1100cc. I am not sure it will fit a cooper 1275 (mine is a carb one from 91).

from the subframe standpoint, I think it will work, but I am not sure. any thoughts ?

cheers!

#2 Curley

Curley

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Local Club: Not MINI friendly

Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:42 PM

With the exception of the automatic gearbox all other Mini gearboxes mount the same. Check to casting number though as not all casings are created equal.

Most prefer the later A+ DAM5626 Rod change box & A+ transfer case (which you likely already have if it's a 91).

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:49 PM

ok Mini power unit basics.

very early boxes need reliving for bigend clearance.

once that is known then you have the basics that will all fit together if kept together.

the block/head

the gearbox and transfercase

the drop gears.

the block head is fairly self well known keep to the bore size (small or Big) unless you make the suitable mods.

the drop gears are again crank specific 1275 and not 1275 and then there is the idler gear bearing size.

so the transfer case and gear box you have early one (magic wand, remote and rod type) with the small idler bearings and the later (rod type) that has the larger bearing size.

so back to your question the box will fit but you will need the transfer case to go with it and you will need new drop gears to fit the crank.

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 06 November 2019 - 05:32 PM

If there was an 1100 on top of it, a 1275 will be fine as far as fit goes.

I'll add to this by saying that it will be an easier swap if you stick with the same 'style' of gearbox, ie, Rod Shift or Remote Shift.

Also, you may want to check what gear set ratios you currently have, think about any short comings in that and look at alternatives for your rebuilt gearbox. When setting on a final drive ratio you will then want to match up a suitable speedo drive gearset so that works correctly when refitted.

#5 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 05:47 PM

thank you for the advice guys!

#6 Curley

Curley

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Local Club: Not MINI friendly

Posted 06 November 2019 - 06:11 PM

Picking up on Moke Spider last point, there is a good tool on Guessworks website for working out the correct speedo drive gear: http://www.guess-wor.../Tech/ratio.htm

#7 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 07 November 2019 - 03:08 PM

Hi Guys,

I have a stupid question but I don't seem to be able to find the right answer: on the long term, I would like to remake my gearbox. I found a gearbox+diff for a fair price in my hood, it was mounted on a 1100cc. I am not sure it will fit a cooper 1275 (mine is a carb one from 91).

from the subframe standpoint, I think it will work, but I am not sure. any thoughts ?

cheers!

If the gearbox was mounted under an original 1098, it will need an 1100 type remote gear change extension.

#8 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 10:11 AM

allright, so got more info on thos gearbox: it is a DAM5626.

other numbers are

A/BZ6

BC&M 

So it does look good from that side.

I'm not certain about what you mean, DeadSquare, I did not thought about the possibily that rod change would be different in terms of length from a 1100 to a 1275. I'll investigate.

cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users