#1 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:17 AM

Hi everyone, 

I think the time has come for me to replace the tyres on my Mini. We have 3 choices of 165/70R10s in SA. These are:

- Dunlop R7,

- Dunlop D93,

- Yokohama A008. 

I know they're all pretty good tyres, but I was wondering which tyre had the best lifespan in terms of wear rate of the tread? They're going onto a daily driven Mini which doesn't really get driven quickly and (since it doesn't have a centre oil pick up) won't see a track. There is a small difference in price between the Yokohama tyres and the Dunlop tyres, but this isn't much. 

We do have a local 145/80R10 option too, although I quite like the look of the 165 profile tyres :P 

Apologies if this is the wrong section for this post. 

Regards,

Vinay

#2 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 07 November 2019 - 10:21 AM

Hi everyone, 

I think the time has come for me to replace the tyres on my Mini. We have 3 choices of 165/70R10s in SA. These are:

- Dunlop R7,

- Dunlop D93,

- Yokohama A008. 

I know they're all pretty good tyres, but I was wondering which tyre had the best lifespan in terms of wear rate of the tread? They're going onto a daily driven Mini which doesn't really get driven quickly and (since it doesn't have a centre oil pick up) won't see a track. There is a small difference in price between the Yokohama tyres and the Dunlop tyres, but this isn't much. 

We do have a local 145/80R10 option too, although I quite like the look of the 165 profile tyres :P

Regards,

Vinay

ALWAYS   go for grip.

A new set of tyres is cheaper than an accident.

I was once talked into fitting a set of Michelin X on a Morris 1000 Traveller, because "they never seem to wear out"

I "lost contact" with the road four times in three years, and threw them away 1/2 worn.

#3 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 07 November 2019 - 10:21 AM

The Yokohama tyre is a great tyre, I cant comment on the others as I haven't heard of them

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 07 November 2019 - 11:01 AM

Please also be aware that many tyre companies use different rubber mixes for local conditions.

#5 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 07 November 2019 - 11:37 AM

Please also be aware that many tyre companies use different rubber mixes for local conditions.

That is a very good point.

At one time, I was keen on Cinturatos, and I had forgotten about buying a set in Italy, having two fitted and bringing two home.

Later, in the autumn, I was fitting the other two and noticed how much harder the Italian rubber was compared to the worn UK tyres that I was taking off.

#6 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 11:54 AM

These tyres are all imported into the country. There are a set of locally manufactured 145/80/R10s, but I'd like to fit 165s. 

#7 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 12:00 PM

Hi everyone, 

- Dunlop R7,

- Dunlop D93,

- Yokohama A008. 

Regards,

Vinay

ALWAYS   go for grip.

I was once talked into fitting a set of Michelin X on a Morris 1000 Traveller, because "they never seem to wear out"

I "lost contact" with the road four times in three years, and threw them away 1/2 worn.

Thanks, but that isn't really the point here. These are all quality tyres with good reviews in terms of grip and performance. A bunch of the race car drivers down here use them.

I'm curious if people have used some/all of them at some point and have a sense of the wear rates, because a tyre that has a super soft compound and wears out after a short time doesn't really make sense for a daily driven road going Mini. 

#8 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 07 November 2019 - 12:16 PM

again talk to your local guys.

#9 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 03:55 PM

YOKOs are grippy, and mine last for ages, but then I only do 1000 miles a year!

#10 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,916 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 07 November 2019 - 04:23 PM

I've had one blow out in umpteen years of driving .. and that was a Michelin X ..

I've never had Michelins since .. until 2017 when my new BRZ came with a set .. and I'm doing my best to wear the b*gg*rs out so I can put proper tyres on .. these are the same carp they put on the Prius!

Edited by gazza82, 07 November 2019 - 04:26 PM.

#11 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 07 November 2019 - 04:56 PM

I've had one blow out in umpteen years of driving .. and that was a Michelin X ..

I've never had Michelins since .. until 2017 when my new BRZ came with a set .. and I'm doing my best to wear the b*gg*rs out so I can put proper tyres on .. these are the same carp they put on the Prius!

Just do some big burnouts to wear them down lol

#12 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 05:31 PM

The more grippy they are the quicker they wear. Local Dunlop (South Africa) 145/80 xR10 are cheap and last a long time even with spirited driving.

Edited by Rorf, 07 November 2019 - 05:31 PM.

#13 luismx123

luismx123

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 08:09 AM

Hi everyone, 

- Dunlop R7,

- Dunlop D93,

- Yokohama A008. 

Regards,

Vinay

ALWAYS   go for grip.

it is for this reason im going to be ordering some a032s this black friday end of november. Im currently using falken f7oe and theyre abismal... if its even lightly damp, my 998 with do burnouts all day long...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users