tj80

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 05:25 PM

Hi,

First post so be gentle!  :)

I've just bought a 1991 998cc Mayfair and have a few "niggles" to sort out.  First up, the sliding heater direction control (the one which selects "Screen", "Car" or "Off") jams and doesn't move smoothly between positions.  It's kind of stuck in the central "Screen" position at the moment, if forced it will go to "Car" but it feels like something has dislodged and is catching.  Maybe a seal has come loose, etc?  The windscreen mists up quite badly too, regardless of setting (and no, I don't have modern expectations of the heater! :) ).

How hard is it to access the direction control mechanism?  I'm hoping it doesn't involve removing the heater box entirely but fear it will!

Many thanks,

Tim

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,923 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 07 November 2019 - 06:22 PM

Be Kind ?   Heheheheehe,,,,,,,,,,,

You'll be happy to know the members here are quite a decent bunch.

I find this is usually from the spring and detent in the lever jamming up over time, which in turn then makes the 'detent slot' in the fixed part, wear and get deeper / 'harder' shoulders to it, which, makes it hard to move and wears it more and so it goes on.

I've never tried fixing on in situ, it might be possible, however, you'll likely find the whole heater could do with a clean and overhaul.

If you remove the passenger's seat it does make it easier to get at to remove.

#3 Algordo1100

Algordo1100

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:10 PM

Well, de-misting in a mini is never great anyway.
Since its a mayfair, you have pop out rear windows? Try opening them (unless it's a downpour!) The airflow helps. You can crack the front widows too. That's what I do. It's cold but at least I can see!

The heater really isn't difficult to remove and overhaul. Might be worth investigation. Drain, Get it out, pop it open, clean the leaves and detritus out etc.

#4 tj80

tj80

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 12:02 PM

Thanks, both.  Yes it has opening rear windows so that's a good plan.  I tend to drive with the window open all the time anyway no matter how cold, but my wife prefers her creature comforts.

Anyone know if there is an exploded diagram or any pictures of the heater unit?  The only thing I've found is the one from various parts catalogues, but that doesn't show the inside including how the direction control works only the heater box itself as a unit.  :(  Suspect I may have to bite the bullet and pull the heater to fix it - I'm reluctant since removing the heater on my MGB basically involves taking the car apart from around it, the Mini's looks a bit simpler at least!

Cheers,

Tim

#5 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 08 November 2019 - 12:47 PM

The mini heater is removed by loosening 2 nuts at the back, remove the heater pipes then remove the 2 screws at the front.

Edited by cal844, 08 November 2019 - 12:48 PM.

#6 tj80

tj80

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 03:14 PM

Ah, OK - that sounds pretty straightforward then!  Thanks.

#7 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 08 November 2019 - 05:51 PM

It is, I'd recommend removing the front carpet before you start so that any spills just wipe up

#8 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,414 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 09 November 2019 - 01:44 AM

You'll be amazed at how simple it is when you pull it apart. Stand it on its end with the water pipe(s) uppermost to see which bit goes where before they fall out.

#9 tj80

tj80

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 07:43 PM

Had a day off work today so set about the various "to do" items - first up the heater control. As you all said, it's a remarkably simple thing! Looking and feeling from the passenger footwell I could see the bottom edge of the flap which moves to direct the air was just fouling the bottom of the housing in the corner. Used a wide blade screwdriver to bend the bottom (which was already slightly curved) a smidgen further and problem solved! :)

Cheers,
Tim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users