tj80

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 05:40 PM

Hi,

New member here saying "hi"!

Just bought a 1991 998cc Mini Mayfair as a surprise 40th birthday present for my wife who has always wanted a "proper" Mini.  It's been 20 years since I last drove a classic Mini, forgot how much fun they are!  :)

Have a few "niggles" to sort out, the list at the moment includes:

- Wipers don't park themselves (new park switch bought, hoping it's not a wiring problem...)

- Rev counter doesn't work (previous owner fitted Accuspark electronic ignition and coil, wondering if he may have accidentally disconnected the rev counter?)

- Heater direction control is jammed (just created a new thread about this one as soon as the mods approve it!)

- Think the tracking is way out (steering wheel off centre by about 40 degrees and the indicators don't self cancel most of the time)

- Boot leaks, new seals needed

- No boot board, so spare wheel and battery just open to the boot (not very wife friendly!)

- Rear subframe seems very solid but heading towards getting crusty, needs a good wire brushing and undersealing

- Static 3 point seat belts going to be changed for inertia belts (statics are a pain for fitting a child seat)

So far that's about it but I'm sure there will be plenty more as I get to know the car.  Looking forward to participating in the forum!

Cheers,
Tim

#2 CMXCVIII

CMXCVIII

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 11:13 AM

Welcome, Tim. 

One thing jumped out at me from your list of niggles - the steering!

Please do check the integrity of the steering column and particularly the splines at the bottom of the column - they wear. And the steering rack mountings.

There are lots of threads about it on the forum but loss of steering can have particularly nasty consequences!

Assuming all's OK, Enjoy your [wife's] new car!! :D

Jon

#3 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 08 November 2019 - 11:50 AM

Enjoy....

So much fun to have... now you will need to get yourself one...

His and hers......

#4 tj80

tj80

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 11:58 AM

Thanks, both.  Maybe the wife will let me drive it once in a while, its stable mate is my 1966 MGB GT and I think 2 old cars is enough to have to look after!

Jon - Thanks for the tip off - I will certainly double check this!  I'm pretty sure (hope) it's just badly adjusted, the previous owner was an RAC man and replaced the steering rack gaitors so will have removed the track rod ends.  He did tell me the tracking needed setting so I would assume that means he didn't set afterwards (or mark the track rod ends before he took them off!).

#5 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 13 November 2019 - 07:28 AM

Nice array of classics you have

#6 tj80

tj80

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 10:32 PM

Thanks! Have a bit of a thing for British motors. First car was a Mk1 Metro, then bought the MGB (over 20 years ago now...), had an MGF VVC followed by an MGTF 160, then an X-Type Jag and now a Jaguar XF (OK, so the Jags aren't entirely British...). Looked after a mate's Rover P6 for 6 months while he was abroad for a while too, and my Dad's had an array of interesting things in the relatively recent past ranging from a 1935 Austin 10, through Rover P4, now on his third Morris Minor and an FX4 taxi! So the Mini is in good company! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users