32 replies to this topic

#31 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:01 PM

I agree with breaking down what's left to do into small operations that you thoroughly research to ensure success. Also make your workplace a pleasant place to be - tidy it up, clear out the crap, label stuff so you can find it easily, upgrade your lighting - working in poor light never works. Get an old plain carpet for the floor. cover exposed paintwork with an old blanket or cardboard especially if you have a small space. Pack away parts you don't need yet, just keeping out what you need for the next job. Get all the fixings re-plated - it's always better working with shiny nuts and bolts. Keep at it!

#32 locky7101

locky7101

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:25 AM

I feel the pain! At a similar stage of my resto and the finished article looks so close yet so far. And completely right about new parts being a pain sometimes. I nearly lost my cool with the boot seal last week...(It is still not on the mini). This is half the reason I try to restore the old parts as much as possible (blast and coating), as I know they fit my mini. 

But without sounding like a broken record, I take a break and have a coffee when I lose it. Normally followed by looking at other peoples minis as further inspiration to keep going. 

One thing that I have found that helps massively is getting someone to help. I am fortunate that I have a couple of friends who help for a few hours every now and again. Makes certain jobs easier and get things done quicker (sometimes). It is also good to get their reaction and feedback on the car. Makes you feel like all the effort is worth it. Keep up the good work!

#33 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 22 November 2019 - 02:16 AM

I can't agree on getting friends to help unless they're at least as qualified and dedicated as you are or it's simply more than a one man job. I prefer to work alone, as I find friends a distration at best and an PITA at worst.

Once in a great while I need someone to hold a wrench or a bolt in place while I attach a nut, and my non-mechanical wife does a great job at that., but most of the time a pair of mole grips will do the job just as well.

While it may be nice to have the compliments on your work, I don't need validation from my friends about the cars I drive.

Edited by Magneto, 22 November 2019 - 02:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users