24 replies to this topic

#1 and90cooper

and90cooper

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:11 PM

Hello everyone-it’s been quite a few years since I last posted,but I do look in all the time!!
Anyway,I can’t resist the pull any longer and need another mini in my life(I’ve owned one in one form or another since I was sixteen years old-apart from the last four or five years(I’m 45 now) and I have to scratch that itch again.My parents have owned dozens over the years and they are part of my life lol
I started looking for a mk1 but I want something with decent performance so it needs to be at least 1275 with decent brakes etc
However I’ve come across a “1968” mk 2 that clearly has a much later shell(side repeaters in front wings) wind up windows etc
Seller obviously has disclosed that it’s a later shell
I’m not bothered by the originality,but I want something legal-is there anyway this could have been reshelled legally and not just be an Spi shell with a mk2 vin plate riveted on?
It is on ten inch wheels with Cooper S disks ,and mk2 center speedo and rear lights.i have owned a reshelled 1990 Cooper rsp before and it wasn’t a problem,but was reshelled with a similar age shell.
Any thoughts /advice on this please!!
Cheers andrew

#2 wreckitralph

wreckitralph

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:15 PM

from what i have read unless its into a heritage new bodyshell then no its not legal it is a ringer  but having said  that there are so many on the road with vin plates and v5 from a diff car   its unbeleivable  there was a guy local selling a mini mayfair [sticker on the side] where it needed to be painted to finish  with a clubman flip front and b18 engine as a1968 mini  ..... really lol...take a look at  all the v5s on ebay  half the idiots leave the reg number or v5 reference number visible

Edited by wreckitralph, 09 November 2019 - 04:28 PM.

#3 and90cooper

and90cooper

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:16 PM

Also the price does reflect that it is a reshell and not a genuine mk2-it’s half the price I would expect to pay for a decent mk2 with this spec...

#4 Dr s

Dr s

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:21 PM

You probably need to take a view on what you are getting. A 90’s shell with a 1275 GT motor and seventies interior is a different proposition to an SPI shell with an SPI interior and an SPI motor.
Could it have been legit and happened over time? Or is it just a log book job?

#5 and90cooper

and90cooper

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:40 PM

Oh it deffo isn’t just an Spi with vin plate swapped-it’s got period interior-no padded dash top,center speedo etc and has been used as a competition car.its got period seats(repro I think-deffo not genuine mk2) but drivers seat is competition sparco I think. I’m waiting on pics of the engine bay......it’s got a 1293 apparently.but no mention of what carbs/cam etc
I’m not too fussed about getting something right away,especially this time of year-I was going to start looking in earnest in the spring-but this caught my eye.whatever I buy will be a forever car for me hopefully so it needs to be kosher.and it needs performance-my last one was 120 bhp(dynoed) so an 850 or 998 isn’t going to cut it lol.
I also keep getting drawn to a mk1 with 1380 and all the bits on eBay at the moment -it’s also a competition car,with a very high spec,but it’s just a little out of my price range at the moment-13 grand is a big ask!!
It’s a massive cliche but I really wish I hadn’t sold the one in my profile pic.by today’s prices I almost gave it away lol

Edited by and90cooper, 09 November 2019 - 04:55 PM.

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,923 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:54 PM

If you don't have your heart set on it, I'd suggest walking away, it sounds like a can of worms.

#7 and90cooper

and90cooper

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:59 PM

My heart would only be set in it once I went to see it and drove it!!

#8 wreckitralph

wreckitralph

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 05:14 PM

either way i think if i had got a new heritage shell to put all the bits in then when time to sell  the price would reflect the cost of a new   shell  otherwise its a ringer

now unless its flagged by someone who knows minis that start asking the wrong questions  youd be stuck so   you pays your money takes your chance plenty around without issue at mot time but just know it could cause problems  if the right or wrong person was to take a peek

i should also say altho playing devils advocate  that ime not 1 that would worry about it if price is right get it 

Edited by wreckitralph, 09 November 2019 - 06:53 PM.

#9 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 05:16 PM

If you are not too fussed with originality and the price is right for its condition why not?

#10 and90cooper

and90cooper

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 05:56 PM

If you are not too fussed with originality and the price is right for its condition why not?

I was really concerned about all the ringer threads on here to be honest-
I don’t have a problem with it but I don’t want to fall foul of the law.
As has been said on here and other forums about reshells,all the original works cars were reshelled at some point,
The issue with this is it’s a much later shell with fundamental differences to a mk2.
What would an insurance company say in the event of a total loss?

And there seems to be a huge stigma on here about reshells...

#11 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,802 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:26 PM

Before the current DVLA rules came in to force in the 1980's it was legal to reshell a Mini into a secondhand shell and many were done this way at the time. It is difficult to actually prove when it was done now but later re-shells after the DVLA rules came in require evidence of purchase from factory of a new shell or nowadays from BMH.

Edited by mab01uk, 09 November 2019 - 06:26 PM.

#12 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:33 PM

My issue is, what if it’s a stolen car on a different ID?

And then, what if it’s discovered as such?

#13 and90cooper

and90cooper

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:50 PM

My issue is, what if it’s a stolen car on a different ID?

And then, what if it’s discovered as such?

#14 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:54 PM

Before the current DVLA rules came in to force in the 1980's it was legal to reshell a Mini into a secondhand shell...

And an SPI 'shell' would only be at least 10 years at least (mid 90's) past that.

Easy way to tell if there's anything dodgy with the SPI shell is to find the original vin number stamped into the scuttle drain channel (if it's still the original panel or hasn't been ground out) and see what it digs ups/come back with.

#15 brownspeed

brownspeed

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 07:36 PM

In 1984 I used to have a 1964 cooper S which during its life had been fitted with the mk2 back panel (bigger lights) for some reason, Still had the sliding windows.

anything is possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users