7 replies to this topic

#1 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:01 PM

Im looking advice on an alarm / cctv set up.
In the process of having a new bungalow and workshop built.
Its in an isolated rural location with only 1 other property down a lane maybe 1/4 mile long. Naturally I want security and peace of mind.
Just in the blockwork stage at the minute so any hard wiring can be done by the electrician as he does his thing.
Front / rear  / side cameras of the house would be ideal as would the workshop covering front and side doors.
Im ondering would it be best to have a system that covers both, or a seperate one for the workshop which is about 25 meters from the house?

Any suggestions greatly received.

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 10 November 2019 - 08:02 AM

It might pay you to have a look at the Ring cameras.

I'm looking at getting a couple of these possibly three and also the doorbell.

They do work well as one of my workmates was describing the system to me his went off in his drive. You get a notification directly to your phone which Luke got. It was his cat on the fence and as the camera has a speaker as we talked with the microphone on quietly and the cat did a runner. So quite effective.

Not an alarm as such but at least it will take videos, pictures etc.  

#3 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,777 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 10 November 2019 - 09:21 AM

If you are doing a new build take a look at the 'Build Hub' forum below, loads of useful advice:-

https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/

The Build Hub forum also have a section on Security alarms and cctv:-

https://forum.buildh...ity-automation/

Edited by mab01uk, 10 November 2019 - 09:22 AM.

#4 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 03:21 PM

Well, I don't know if being on the other side of the pond makes a difference but this is what I have done over the years. When the house was being built 31 years ago (ancient technology but it still works), I ran twisted pair wires from each window and door to the location where I was going to have the alarm system. Most installations at the time had the wiring in series from one window to the next. The problem with that is that it you lose a wire (which happened during the construction) or window switch, the whole system is gone. Instead, a terminal board added inside the alarm box allowed me to connect all the window wires in series with a final two wire connection to the alarm loop terminals. I used magnetic switches for all the doors and windows.

I had to run maybe 4 pairs to the key pad locations for the 12 volt power, alarm on/off and tamper switch. Then, there were some more pairs of wires to the temperature switches in the garage and near the A/C blower units in the attic. Three wires going to the alarm horn, for the common, burglar siren, fire bell. I also added another pair for a blinking beacon in the front of the house. 

Later on, after we moved in to the house, I added a couple of motion detectors using telephone wires, for 12 volt power, tamper and the signal back to the alarm loop. 

In the last few years I have installed some Foscam cameras. One of them has been through at least three hurricanes (no direct impact) and it has survived. The last one is a Foscam G2. Even though it operates like the older ones, it has the enhancements that it can be setup with just a phone, it has an SD card slot to record video. In addition, these cameras can be used on WiFi or Ethernet cable. Each camera stands alone, can send notifications to the phone or email or can be connected to an NVR via WiFi or Ethernet cable.   

Considering the distance to the workshop, it would make sense to run an Ethernet cable from the house to the shop rather than using WiFi. Also, that would permit to setup internet in the shop with hard wire or with a WiFi repeater.    

Edited by xrocketengineer, 10 November 2019 - 11:11 PM.

#5 Dannyboolahlah

Dannyboolahlah

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 07:29 PM

Im looking advice on an alarm / cctv set up.
In the process of having a new bungalow and workshop built.
Its in an isolated rural location with only 1 other property down a lane maybe 1/4 mile long. Naturally I want security and peace of mind.
Just in the blockwork stage at the minute so any hard wiring can be done by the electrician as he does his thing.
Front / rear / side cameras of the house would be ideal as would the workshop covering front and side doors.
Im ondering would it be best to have a system that covers both, or a seperate one for the workshop which is about 25 meters from the house?

Any suggestions greatly received.

CCTV all runs over an IP network now, so all wired in cat 5/6 network cable like most things can be these days. My advice is run a load of Cat 6 everywhere to make it future proof.
When I wired my house (I'm an electrician) I ran loads of extras, got a couple behind where TVs might go, out to front, side and rear cameras, couple up in the loft, one down a duct to the garage etc...
May cost you a bit of extra labour to get them ran in, but it's much easier to do it at first fox than later on when you add stuff.
I'm not too clued up on alarms other than basics, but if you go for a single system covering both the house and workshop, make sure you get a keypad in the workshop. I regularly get home with stuff to go in the garage, but have to go into the house first to turn the alarm off. Not the end of the world but annoying.

#6 Dannyboolahlah

Dannyboolahlah

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 07:36 PM

Well, I don't know if being on the other side of the pond makes a difference

From what you've described, we do alarms quite differently.
We run 6/8 core alarm cable to each door/window sensor, motion sensor, keypad and siren/bellbox. Covers power, tamper loop and a loop to trigger the alarm. All back to a panel usually hidden away somewhere.

Smart systems are starting to emerge probably wired with Cat 6 instead, but I've not had a go at one yet.

#7 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:14 AM

Nest and Ring (Google and Amazon) systems are very good but quite pricey, for a more complete system you want something like a HikVision install, a proper CCTV system.

The cameras are extremely impressive, even in low-light.  The cameras are all networked, with a network recorder box holding all the footage.

Also worth remembering alot of the 'smart' functions of the Nest/Ring systems require an annual subscription to work, which isn't very cheap.

Edited by r3k1355, 19 November 2019 - 11:18 AM.

#8 Orange-Phantom

Orange-Phantom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:26 PM

You could get yourself a Synology NAS box, load it with some HDD's, and run Surveilance Station on it.

It's compatible with a whole host of IP cams.  You can tailor the system how you want. You're also not restricted to a proprietary system.

https://www.synology...al/surveillance

It's just a thought.  It also depends on how much you want to spend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users