9 replies to this topic

#1 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:29 PM

I have two minis that both have the same 4.5" x 10" wheels with the same tyres and the same caster at 3.5 degrees and the same camber at just under .5 degrees negative front and neutral at the rear. Both cars have about 3/16" total toe in on the rear which is a bit much, both are standard ride height and both have the same shocks on the same setting and you guessed it both have the same 1/16" toe out front tracking.

One car corners like its on rails, super predictable with no lift off oversteer but the other when pushed only half as hard feels like the back tyre wants to tuck under and the car feels like it wants to swap ends, lifting the throttle just a bit gives instant oversteer. The turn in needs correcting mid bend.

Everything measures up OK, wheelbase etc. The tyre pressures are correct and all bushes are A1 and everything is tight. I have even swapped the wheels around but no change. Everything checks out with the string around the wheels and the only thing I have not 100% verified is the rear tracking from the center line.

Could that be why it tries to kill me or an I missing something else and how can I reduce lift off oversteer other than by slowing down and learning the bends first, that said the other car is very neutral with no oversteer  so how can I fix it ?

The rubber doughnuts are all good and not squashed and both cars have solid mounted front subframes.

Does too much rear toe in have an effect other than wearing the tyres out quicker ?

#2 Zami

Zami

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 10:42 PM

Not sure if this will help. I had a similar problem pulled one away on hard acceleration and the other on lift off. All 4 wheels had been aligned. Everything seemed tight. This forum recommended recheck the steering arms. I found the two right hand bolts on the steering arms just slightly under torqued not really loose but a socket wrench showed an easy 1/4 turn. Torqued them up to spec. And the handling is back to normal.

#3 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 09 November 2019 - 11:05 PM

Re-check the rear camber and rear toe-in. Try a little less rear toe-in. 

Also stiffen up the front dampers a little and soften off the rears.

#4 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 12:05 AM

what are the engines? If one has more compression or lighter flywheel, or what ever, lift off over steer may happen more...

#5 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 10 November 2019 - 03:39 AM

Make sure the rear arm bushings are OK, my car did something similar and that's what it turned out to be.

#6 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 10:47 AM

Thanks all, some things to check there :)

#7 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 10 November 2019 - 11:25 AM

Check the radius arm bushes have no play, the reunionbushes arent perished and also that the bolts etc are tight

#8 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 10 November 2019 - 11:25 AM

Check the radius arm bushes have no play, the reunionbushes arent perished and also that the bolts etc are tight

#9 dmandan

dmandan

Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 09:26 AM

I've got exactly the same problem i'm pretty sure the car is trying to kill me, I've deff got wear in the rear arms, did you fix it???

I had poor ball joints and worn bearings on the front, just went through those and it's magnified the issues coming from the back now so wheels are coming off this week.

Edited by dmandan, 20 November 2019 - 09:27 AM.

#10 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 07:29 PM

I've got exactly the same problem i'm pretty sure the car is trying to kill me, I've deff got wear in the rear arms, did you fix it???

I had poor ball joints and worn bearings on the front, just went through those and it's magnified the issues coming from the back now so wheels are coming off this week.

Unfortunately due to other commitments and lack of enthusiasm due to the wet and cold I haven`t got around to it yet as its a sunny day car.

There are lots of good suggestions above and wobbly rear arms are a definite no no.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users