8 replies to this topic

#1 foggy

foggy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 08:11 PM

Hi all, I am a fairly competent mini enthusiast, however I am stumped on this one, and hoping for help.
Stats
1.1A series
Clubman
I have taken the 1.5 inch carb off to sort a fuel leak that was picked up at its mot and failed because of it.
I took the carb off and gave it a clean. I didnt strip anything from it. Just tried to see if the leak was coming from the jet area. I gave it an external clean and put it back on the car to see if I could see more clearly where the leak may be coming from.
But now it wont start. The spark plugs are wet with fuel and every spark plug sparks after I took each one out to check.
The engine now turns over but does not fire. I haven't touched the distributor or anything. I'm very confused.
Help needed! Pleeease.
Thanks

#2 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,917 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 11 November 2019 - 09:58 AM

Sounds like it could be flooding .. you sure the jet isn't jammed open?

#3 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 11 November 2019 - 01:01 PM

What I'd do is take the plugs out then let the fuel evaporate out the bores

#4 foggy

foggy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 03:13 PM

Thanks guys. Yes the jet is in its correct position, and operates correctly when I manually turn the choke. The plugs were soaking so I have heard that bore wash us a thing? I will take the plugs out when I get home and leave them out for a day and try again.

#5 foggy

foggy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 03:49 PM

Also I noticed when cranking that it seemed to turn over almost too fast compared to normal. But before the carb came off, everything was running lovely. So I cant see it being anything more sinister than excess fuel.. can you?

#6 hunterg30

hunterg30

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 05:53 PM

The flooding might be washing the bores . As mentioned above is the piston in the carb freely moving and closing.

#7 floormanager

floormanager

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Sussex

Posted 11 November 2019 - 08:05 PM

Are you getting voltage on the contact or negative side of the coil with the points open?  If not, either the coil is not working or you are earthing out the low tension circuit.  On a 1979 points distributor, it's possible for the condenser / low tension lead to touch the point bottom plate, preventing the coil from energising.  Just happened to me after an engine rebuild.

#8 foggy

foggy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 07:02 AM

Thanks for your help guys. Turns out it must have been bore wash. I removed the plugs for a day. Then I turned the engine over without fuel connected to get thr bores re lubricated. Put it all back together and it fired up. Thanks for your help

#9 foggy

foggy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 07:05 AM

Thanks for your help guys. Turns out it must have been bore wash. I removed the plugs for a day. Then I turned the engine over without fuel connected to get thr bores re lubricated. Put it all back together and it fired up. Thanks for your help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users