Photo

Mpi Sportpack Alloy Dashboard Restoration.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wilsonch

wilsonch

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 05:22 PM

Appologies if this is in the wrong section.

I am just starting a rebuild of a 2000 sportpack. 

Rust in all the usual places as i have been reading plenty of threads.

However I am struggling to find advice on restoring the alloy dash that in in my car.

It is essentially in good condition but needs some minor work on the edges, on the left and right outside of the air vents.

I am toying with using liquid metal as a 'filler' then filing down and 'painting' to try and get as good a match as possible to the rest of the dash.

As it is only a minor ammount of corrosion and the rest of the dash is in good condition i am loathed to buy a complete new dash and though I would ask for help before diving in with both feet.

pics showing corrosion.

alloy%20dash%201.jpg

alloy%20dash%203.jpg

alloy%20dash%202.jpg

#2 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 11 November 2019 - 07:00 PM

The issue lies below the alloy. The wood on that has got damp, probably from either living outside or in a moist garage.

You can paint it, but you're going to struggle to get it to match and look natural. What enthusiasts are struggling with is finding where Rover got the machined alloy sheet from. It could then be re-covered!

#3 wilsonch

wilsonch

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 12:56 PM

Thanks for that. The car has been stood for several years, covered but still damp. All the staples that hold the 'fluffy' trim round the dash were rusty.
I could possibly find something similar to cover it but it just wont be the same.

#4 carlosgt

carlosgt

Passed Test

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 02:27 PM

The issue lies below the alloy. The wood on that has got damp, probably from either living outside or in a moist garage.

You can paint it, but you're going to struggle to get it to match and look natural. What enthusiasts are struggling with is finding where Rover got the machined alloy sheet from. It could then be re-covered!

I wish I could find the original sheet to build a dash myself   :unsure:

#5 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:28 PM

I wish I could find the original sheet to build a dash myself :unsure:
You and many many others, chap!

Edited by Steve220, 12 November 2019 - 03:29 PM.

#6 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:30 PM

There's coach builders such as James Pearce who use similar sheet, might be worth an enquiry? http://www.jamespear...workshops4.html

OP ... mine had some damage around the edges which I carefully filed flat the best i could, but nothing as bad as yours. Another option I considered was removing the whole lot and replacing with brushed aluminium sheet which is readily available, the original is only a thin sheet bonded on so could probably be removed without causing more damage - maybe with some heat and a flat blade.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users