#1 dangreen

dangreen

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 07:41 PM

Hi,
I have a RHD manual 1979 mini 850 and would like to get a sumpguard. Minispares sell this one (http://minispares.co...|Back to search) but I'm not sure it's compatible. Does anyone know if this fits all mini's or just certain models.
Thanks
Dan

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 12 November 2019 - 08:23 PM

I believe it can, however I would give Minispares a call or perhaps Simon @ MS will post a reply.

Sorry I cant be of more help

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,940 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 12 November 2019 - 08:42 PM   Best Answer

Yes it will fit.

you will have to drill holes.

#4 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 12 November 2019 - 10:15 PM

Thanks for confirming Nick, I will mtake a mental note for future guidance ?

#5 dangreen

dangreen

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 10:17 PM

Yes it will fit.

you will have to drill holes.

Thanks. What gets drilled into? Does it attach to the bodywork, engine/gearbox or subframe?

#6 dangreen

dangreen

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 10:18 PM

I believe it can, however I would give Minispares a call or perhaps Simon @ MS will post a reply.

Sorry I cant be of more help

No worries. Thanks anyway for the suggestion

#7 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 10:24 PM

You’ll need to drill 4 holes in the subframe

#8 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,038 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 12 November 2019 - 10:28 PM

The Innocenti sump guard is not a very robust item, although in its favour it does allow for better oil cooling than the more robust type.

It will give protection for the occasional bump, but I reckon that if a speed-hump was hit at speed it would bend, although it may well prevent damage to the sump.

For real protection the 'Scottish' type is the best, but that is for more 'serious' rough road driving.

#9 dangreen

dangreen

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:28 AM

You’ll need to drill 4 holes in the subframe

Thanks

#10 dangreen

dangreen

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:42 AM

The Innocenti sump guard is not a very robust item, although in its favour it does allow for better oil cooling than the more robust type.
It will give protection for the occasional bump, but I reckon that if a speed-hump was hit at speed it would bend, although it may well prevent damage to the sump.
For real protection the 'Scottish' type is the best, but that is for more 'serious' rough road driving.

Thanks for the advice. Had a look and they are more expensive but I'm happy to pay more for more protection. It's mainly for a speedbump going into my college, which in any other car I have been in is fine but no matter how slowly I go in my mini it always scrapes. I might give minispares a call or pop in to get their advice since it's not too far for me. I assume the Scottish ones also require drilling the subframe?

#11 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,940 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:44 AM

Thanks for the advice. Had a look and they are more expensive but I'm happy to pay more for more protection. It's mainly for a speedbump going into my college, which in any other car I have been in is fine but no matter how slowly I go in my mini it always scrapes. I might give minispares a call or pop in to get their advice since it's not too far for me. I assume the Scottish ones also require drilling the subframe?

if you are scraping now you may not get over with a sump guard. raise suspension or replace the rubber dounuts with new. all sump guards are subframe/body mounted.

#12 dangreen

dangreen

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:51 AM

if you are scraping now you may not get over with a sump guard. raise suspension or replace the rubber dounuts with new. all sump guards are subframe/body mounted.

I plan to also fit a set of hi-lo's. It's off the road for winter so I've got some flexibility as to what I want to do. And thanks, I always assumed they just bolted on to parts of the engine or something.

Edited by dangreen, 13 November 2019 - 10:00 AM.

#13 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local Club: Northwest Casual Classics

Posted 13 November 2019 - 10:23 AM

You'll probably find that it's the centre box on the exhaust that's scraping on the speed bumps if they are the type that go from kerb to kerb. We have the type that are a bump in the middle of the road rather than a continuous hump across the entire lane, I get round this by driving over it with two wheels on the hump and two on the flat, still need to go carefully though.

#14 dangreen

dangreen

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 10:37 AM

You'll probably find that it's the centre box on the exhaust that's scraping on the speed bumps if they are the type that go from kerb to kerb. We have the type that are a bump in the middle of the road rather than a continuous hump across the entire lane, I get round this by driving over it with two wheels on the hump and two on the flat, still need to go carefully though.

Ah. It is all the way kerb to kerb. So might be worth getting an extended guard? Or just raising the suspension?
The exhaust does appear to have some damage but also there is some wear to the front of the sump.

#15 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local Club: Northwest Casual Classics

Posted 13 November 2019 - 10:57 AM

You'll end up getting beached ;D

I think raising the ride hight a little would be the way to go or see if you can tuck the exhaust up a little higher

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users