#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:08 AM

I find stories like these, really interesting.

I often wondered years ago how Phillips Heads were actually made. Slots are easy.

I can't recall where I read it, but at least in to the 70's, the Russians were using slot head screws as they simply didn't have the manufacturing capability to make Phillips Heads.

Thanks for sharing this :proud:

#3 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 19 November 2019 - 12:02 PM

Iron "wood screws" in the early 18th century were parallel "threaded", a square section, twisted round and round while red hot.

They did the job of a wooden peg that didn't drop out of the hole that had been bored for it, and the gripping and pulling two pieces of wood together was almost non existent .

By the 19th century, they had flutes and a head, as we know them, that could draw pieces of wood together, but were still parallel and not a consistent diameter.

When watching a village joiner trying to insert one of these screws into a hole, a little girl said  "It would be much easier if they had a point on them Grandpa".

Grandpa's name was Nettlefold, who with other English manufacturers, Guest and Keen, became GKN, at one time, the largest screw makers in the world.

#4 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:40 PM

There was a comment on the video that said: "I will have a hard time explaining to my wife that I have been watching a You Tube video about screwing". The wife must have found out, the comment has been removed! 

#5 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 28 November 2019 - 02:32 PM

There was a comment on the video that said: "I will have a hard time explaining to my wife that I have been watching a You Tube video about screwing". The wife must have found out, the comment has been removed! 

They are, quite correctly, very touchy on this site about innuendo.

#6 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 01:46 AM

I can't recall where I read it, but at least in to the 70's, the Russians were using slot head screws as they simply didn't have the manufacturing capability to make Phillips Heads.

You probably got it from my "fake news". Look at the first picture and zoom in on the plaque at the upper center of the picture on the Space Station docking module. What do you see?  On the same picture, notice the yellow/orange orbiter docking system capture ring jack screw covers and go to the second picture. 

https://archive.org/.../s121e05638.jpg

This view is looking from inside at the docking system from the Space Station side. Again, zoom in as much as you can and look at the area surrounding the yellow/orange orbiter docking system capture ring jack screw covers. What do you see?

https://nara.getarch...4e8b4?zoom=true

Enjoy!

Edited by xrocketengineer, 01 December 2019 - 03:53 PM.

#7 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 01 December 2019 - 06:53 AM

But hang on !!!

I read it on the Internet so it must be true :D

#8 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 06:28 PM

I removed my mini's grille the other day and I had forgotten that the screws attaching it were mismatched. Some where Phillips and the rest were square heads. Then I finally realized why. When I bought the car, it came from Canada! And all along I thought that the strange screws was a Japanese thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users