#1 LionelMonza

LionelMonza

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 07:16 PM

Good evening

I don't know if I'm in the right place, but I wanted to share with you my experience regarding the purchase of used Mini ROVER MPIs.

I'm not going to put the garage names, because being French, I don't know the rules that govern forums and others in the UK...

1st purchase experience in August 2019 and I was the victim of a fraud to divert my bank transfer to Nigeria...

(f you have information to help me alert the authorities or other organizations that can help me stop the pirate's actions I am a private email recipient)

2nd experience my money arrived at the right place this time, but I bought a nice Mini, but the work I had to do on it was not planned... and of course the garage (a professional no longer answers my emails:)

in short, for the 3rd Mini I would go to see it before buying it even if it is far away too bad.....

In conclusion, I am even more in love with your country, and I look forward to going back.

+ more info in private mail

but I'm glad to have my first RHD.

#2 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 07:36 PM

Outstanding and congratulations!!!

#3 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:09 PM

Welcome Lionel,

PM sent.

I dont think you should be too hard on yourself, your English is pretty amazing - wish my French was as good, I cant imagine trying to converse on a French forum!

Why did you want a RHD UK Mini anyway are there no decent Min is left in France?

#4 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 20 November 2019 - 09:50 PM

The mini MPI does rust, you'll need to do repairs on any car you buy. You want to use Ben at Mill Road garage, Isle of Wight. He is a user of this forum (images of Ben's work are available in the Traders section of the forum) and although I do my own repairs I'd happily recommend due to good feedback and value for money.

If you are looking to purchase any minis from Ebay or Gumtree, please join the Ebay Vehicle Scam Alert (EVSA) group on Facebook, I'm a member of that page so can post on your behalf.

Here is a link to the EVSA group:: https://m.facebook.c...profile_browser

Hope this helps

Cal

Edited by cal844, 20 November 2019 - 09:53 PM.

#5 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:35 AM

Scams from Nigeria and stuff are quite common for us, there isn't much that can be done because they are in a completely different country.

Are they not so common in France?

#6 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,377 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:09 PM

English being such a global language is a mixed blessing at times. 

If you buy a car from a trader you have enhanced rights over a private sale, but enforcing those rights can be a problem, particularly over such a distance.

There really is no substitute for turning up in person with a fine toothed comb in hand - and the know how to use it: on fraud as well as rust 'n faults.

#7 LionelMonza

LionelMonza

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 05:53 PM

Good evening, thank you all for your answers.
In fact I already have a Mini MPI bought in France but which was intended for the German market a MONZA (it looks like a Silverstone) but in blue...
For the fact of writing on a forum in English I confess that school English does not help much and that sometimes it is necessary to use online sites for technical words and sometimes to review the translation
writing is unfortunately easier than talking...it is easy to listen more complicated to answer...
but nothing beats the experience of travelling across the country

Finally as for the Nigerian scam it also exists in France, but I knew the famous email telling me that I was the heir of a great uncle who before dying had left me 27 0000 0000 0000 0000 000 € or £ or $ to unlock the funds I must send 1000€ in cash order.....
or the mail or a platinum blonde loves me since she saw my picture she wants to join me but for that I must send her 30000€ for her promised passport she will give them back to me and make me know the pleasure!!!!!!

In fact I found on an online ad site a garage with which I exchanged by email when the time came to validate the transaction the guy sent me the RIB/IBAN for the transfer and it is apparently there that the scammer took control of the emails and put his RIB/IBAN in the place of the garage... (according to the garage owner)
so I sent the money to the wrong person....

currently the garage tells me that it's not his problem... that nobody has usurped his identity yet I've always written to the same e-mail address as the garage

Thanks

Edited by LionelMonza, 22 November 2019 - 05:53 PM.

#8 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 07:34 PM

Was his name George?

https://youtu.be/LA3zhzT1wDo

Edited by beardylondon, 22 November 2019 - 07:36 PM.

#9 LionelMonza

LionelMonza

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 02:21 AM

no George is funny, and for that reason alone I send him my RIB/IBAN right away.....
mine is called Gabriel Oxxxxx... and unfortunately for me it is smarter and apparently he knows how to usurp the identity of an English professional while breaking into email accounts without the user noticing.

#10 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 09:04 AM

Lionel,

I know of the same problem that has happened in the UK with transactions business to business. The email with the bank detail is intercepted and the details are changed, this happens in a fraction of a second, then the payment is made to a scam account.
It happened to a customer of mine with another supplier (not us) and £30,000 was diverted to the scam account. The customer and supplier discussed the theft and spoke to their respective banks, amazingly both banks agreed to cover the cost 50:50 and reimbursed the payment.

Stu.

#11 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,377 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 23 November 2019 - 10:35 AM

It's good that people share their bad experiences like this. making more of us aware makes it harder for the scammers. 

I've seen it suggested that you should transfer a small amount, like £1, so the intended recipient can confirm you have the details correct. Obviously you'd want the confirmation by you contacting them by another method, such as a listed phone number.

I reckon the garage owner is in denial. Somebody has most likely stolen his webmail password directly from him and he could just as easily be scammed next himself.

..... I thought I should add that you can also easily set up a "landline" phone number with an STD code of your choice from anywhere. So don't take it for granted that just because the phone number matches the location it's legit. You might get a clue by comparing the first 2 digits after the STD code with other phone numbers from the same area - Google Pizza, Pubs etc for the same location.

#12 LionelMonza

LionelMonza

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 05:39 AM

Hello,

yes for the purchase of the 2nd Mini I asked to make a shipment of 5£ and that the owner sends me by whatsapp a picture of his screen where we see my transfer.

Yes, the garage owner seems to be in denial, he hasn't lost anything...

Afterwards I read a lot of articles saying that APP fraud is common and that banks have been helping customers since May 28th but I imagine that as I am a foreigner they are hanging around and thinking that I will give up....
The worst part is that if the garage wanted to understand that I'm ready to buy the car (which he still hasn't sold) as soon as he helps me get the money back... it's really bad will... if I was bad I would give him bad publicity

Hello, thank you, Stu,

I'm afraid that since I'm a foreigner and an HSBC individual doesn't take my request into consideration....
after some email exchanges they told me to check with FOS Ombudsman
I'm not sure it helps me....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users