#1 ROD

ROD

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts
  • Local Club: MCR

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:28 PM

I have a 96 spi,( spi Virgin) I bought it after it had been sitting for around 18 months without any use and before this over the last 4 years it had only covered 400 miles.

I replaced the battery and got the mini started( on the old fuel that was in it)

Starts up fine from cold and doesn't smell rich.
If revved around 2.5 rpm it has a miss fire that clears @ 3k if you boot it around this rpm it will hold back and then clear and rev fine thought the rev range when driving.

At first I thought it could have been old fuel,

I have now done over 200 miles since getting it and has new fuel in it.

I have changed the plugs and coolant temp sensor as I thought it might be these.

When I removed the plugs today Cylinder 2-3 the plugs are very black 1-4 are slightly lighter black.

What I am after is some pointers as to what could be wrong without changing everything insight

Edited by ROD, 03 December 2019 - 10:34 AM.

#2 Fast Ivan

Fast Ivan

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:03 PM

Work your way through the pinned posts by Sprocket, they are very comprehensive and informative.
Buy yourself a Sykes Pickavant (or similar) diagnostics unit and learn how to make the best of it, and don’t tell me they’re to expensive; you’ve just purchased a mini so you must have an abundance of cash, time and patience

#3 Wazzah

Wazzah

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 02:30 AM

Vacuum leak for sure. Culprits are the ECU to Fuel trap hose, the fuel trap itself, the fuel trap to manifold hose, the manifold to temp switch in air cleaner and the air cleaner temp switch to warm air flap on the air cleaner nozzle. Sometimes the fuel tank to charcoal cannister to purge valve to throttle body line can leak. Lastly the low speed engine breathing circuit can leak. This is the steel pipe and rubber hoses that run along the rear base of the rocker cover.

#4 genpop

genpop

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 07:38 AM

Did you realy change the coolant temperature sensor? The sensor on bottom of the intake manifold? Not that sensor on bottom of the radiator!

#5 ROD

ROD

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:09 AM

Did you realy change the coolant temperature sensor? The sensor on bottom of the intake manifold? Not that sensor on bottom of the radiator!

It was the sensor on the bottom of the inlet manifold that I changed.

#6 ROD

ROD

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:10 AM

Vacuum leak for sure. Culprits are the ECU to Fuel trap hose, the fuel trap itself, the fuel trap to manifold hose, the manifold to temp switch in air cleaner and the air cleaner temp switch to warm air flap on the air cleaner nozzle. Sometimes the fuel tank to charcoal cannister to purge valve to throttle body line can leak. Lastly the low speed engine breathing circuit can leak. This is the steel pipe and rubber hoses that run along the rear base of the rocker cover.

Thank you for the helpful advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mini Spares