Photo
- - - - -

Horrible Noise When The Engine Receives Throttle.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Zane

Matt Zane

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 02:43 PM

Good afternoon guys,

I've had a bit of a morning, I managed to get the car started, however, it seems to be making a really horrible noise when the throttle is opened up.

The car is a 1974 998 saloon - the engine has fresh oil, seems to be getting decent oil pressure.

I've taken a video, which is at the following link: https://youtu.be/4K1NTtUXTTg

The noise seems to be top end rather than bottom end (however my experience with bottom end noise is from Alfa Romeo's, so could be different) I adjusted the tappets earlier this year, and the engine has not been run since that point.

As always your sage is appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 23 November 2019 - 03:15 PM

That squeaky rattle sounds like the release bearing.

#3 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 23 November 2019 - 03:15 PM

What were the tappets set to?

When was the last service?

How old is the fuel?

Edited by cal844, 23 November 2019 - 03:16 PM.

#4 Matt Zane

Matt Zane

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 03:26 PM

Hi Nicklouse,

Okay, thanks, I'll look into that.

How old is the fuel?

Hi Cal,

The tappets were set to 12 thou, the car has been off the road for about 30 years, so I'm not sure when it last had a service, I have recently changed the oil, its had a new air filter, plugs and an electronic ignition and I've rebuilt the carb. The fuel is fresh in.

Cheers,

Matt

#5 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 04:18 PM

Has it ever run ok in your ownership? If its been off the road for 30 years it may have been taken off the road due to this problem you have now.

I rebuilt a MK2 Jag a few years ago and when I bought it I got it started and drove it forwards and found that it wouldn't go backwards, I assumed the auto box was low on fluid but when I stripped it I found the revers brake band lining had come off.  I reckon that's why it was taken off the road in the 80's but lucky for me it was stored and not scraped. 

#6 Matt Zane

Matt Zane

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 04:37 PM

Has it ever run ok in your ownership? If its been off the road for 30 years it may have been taken off the road due to this problem you have now.

I rebuilt a MK2 Jag a few years ago and when I bought it I got it started and drove it forwards and found that it wouldn't go backwards, I assumed the auto box was low on fluid but when I stripped it I found the revers brake band lining had come off.  I reckon that's why it was taken off the road in the 80's but lucky for me it was stored and not scraped.

Hi Homer,

I should clarify that I've owned the car for 25 of the thirty years, the car has run absolutely fine in the past (the last time it was run up with no problems was about 10 years ago) , which is why the noise is so concerning.

The car is an extremely long term project that I got from my uncle for my 15th birthday. Back then it just needed some cosmetic attention, however mechanically it was relatively sound. However due to youthful exuberance I ruined it (cosmetically) it's since been resprayed twice, and has undergone a pretty extensive refresh of brakes, suspension etc. it seems to be finally approaching a completion point, but it keeps chucking me curveballs.

#7 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 23 November 2019 - 04:44 PM

Hi Nicklouse,

Okay, thanks, I'll look into that.

How old is the fuel?

Hi Cal,

The tappets were set to 12 thou, the car has been off the road for about 30 years, so I'm not sure when it last had a service, I have recently changed the oil, its had a new air filter, plugs and an electronic ignition and I've rebuilt the carb. The fuel is fresh in.

Cheers,

Matt
Great to hear your saving a car...

If the electronic distributor kit is a recent addition, I'd double check the timing,you'll probably find the timing is quite a bit out as it will be different compared to the points figure.

Oh and also check the spark plug gap.

It sounds like the clutch release bearing is also rumbling, it would need checked but not urgent at the minute.

Kind regards

Cal

Edited by cal844, 23 November 2019 - 04:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users