Photo
- - - - -

Horn Problems...

Best Answer BaronVonchesto , 24 November 2019 - 06:39 AM

since you have a fibreglass shell then i imagine it's your earthing thats got a problem. you need to check continuity with a multimeter.

Start by checking the resistance of the purple wire from the stalk to the positive contact on the horn. It should be zero or close to it.

Then do the same with the black wire and the place you are connecting the horn's negative terminal to. It should also be close to zero.

To be safe I'd disconnect the battery in case you accidentally short something while fiddling about.

Then check continuity on the indicator stalk. With the horn switch depressed, check the resistance between the two points it's connected to on the plug. it should also be near zero.

Lastly reconnect the battery , disconnect the horn and set your multimeter to read voltage. connect the multimeter to the wires your horn was connected to, and have someone depress the switch. with the engine turned off, the voltage should read 12 with the horn switch pressed, and zero with the horn switch released.

report back your findings and we can help you trace the problem.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 smurfomatic

smurfomatic

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 03:26 PM

Having trouble getting the horn to work. Recently fitted a customised WiredbyWilson front loom, and everything else seems to work. Here's the situation:

Horn itself is okay - connect it to 12V and earth and it works.

No break in the purple/black wire - if I join the purple and purple/black wire from the indicator stalk, the horn works.

All other functions on the stalk seem to be fine. No fuses blown as far as I can see.

Naturally this would point me towards a faulty horn press on the stalk. However, I've tried a new stalk and get exactly the same thing.

Confused now!

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 23 November 2019 - 04:48 PM

Call David and ask his advice, he may want you to return the product for testing

On my stalks (1980 MY car being the oldest I own) they have an earth loop from the horn to the lighting earth

Edited by cal844, 23 November 2019 - 04:49 PM.

#3 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 06:20 PM

Don't know what mini you have but on my 1275gt standard loom the horn works with just the purple/black stripe wire and then to earth and I have a spare purple wire that goes to the fuse box to the horn that doesn't need connecting either end and everything works fine.

#4 smurfomatic

smurfomatic

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 08:41 PM

Thanks both, I've emailed David to ask if he has any suggestions. As it's a fibreglass shell the earths are different to a regular Mini.

Call David and ask his advice, he may want you to return the product for testing

On my stalks (1980 MY car being the oldest I own) they have an earth loop from the horn to the lighting earth

I take it the black wire from the indicator stalk block is what you mean? Does this need to connect to somewhere other than a "regular" earth? The wiring that as in the car previously was a complete mess, so difficult to tell where things went!

#5 BaronVonchesto

BaronVonchesto

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 06:39 AM   Best Answer

since you have a fibreglass shell then i imagine it's your earthing thats got a problem. you need to check continuity with a multimeter.

Start by checking the resistance of the purple wire from the stalk to the positive contact on the horn. It should be zero or close to it.

Then do the same with the black wire and the place you are connecting the horn's negative terminal to. It should also be close to zero.

To be safe I'd disconnect the battery in case you accidentally short something while fiddling about.

Then check continuity on the indicator stalk. With the horn switch depressed, check the resistance between the two points it's connected to on the plug. it should also be near zero.

Lastly reconnect the battery , disconnect the horn and set your multimeter to read voltage. connect the multimeter to the wires your horn was connected to, and have someone depress the switch. with the engine turned off, the voltage should read 12 with the horn switch pressed, and zero with the horn switch released.

report back your findings and we can help you trace the problem.

#6 smurfomatic

smurfomatic

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 01:03 PM

Sorted - turned out to be a bad earth, even though it tested OK originally.

#7 BaronVonchesto

BaronVonchesto

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 10:26 AM

glad you got it sorted

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users