5 replies to this topic

#1 leewaa

leewaa

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 04:26 PM

Ive been attempting to finally get my mechanical oil temp gauge fitted to my mpi with out any success.

Is there a 100% fool proof solution using a particular gauge and adapter and NOT having to fit the sender in place of the sump plug?? The magnetic sump plug does play an important role..

So far with the current mechanical smiths gauge its just not working out. I have the oil pickup adapter plate wich fits at the back of the gearbox however the gauge sensor is very long so i also needed the sump plug adapter so that it doesn’t block oil flow. Next problem as a result is that the downpipe cant be fitted with it in place as there is no clearance ?

All help will be much appreciated and I look forward to finally having a working and accurate oil temperature gauge.

Attached File  E21A5A49-FA70-4F58-AB24-3A68D167DB48.jpeg   48.99K   0 downloads
Attached File  C6D8F7E5-D90F-4AF8-90E3-DA6A6F5EA0F8.jpeg   56.72K   2 downloads

Edited by leewaa, 23 November 2019 - 04:40 PM.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,934 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 23 November 2019 - 04:49 PM

I would have got a fitting with the correct thread so you don’t need an adaptor.

so either have that fitting machined. Needs engine splitting to remove it.

block it off and fit it somewhere else.

get a different temp gauge.

#3 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 24 November 2019 - 12:08 AM

You can get one of these Mishimoto sandwich plates:

http://www.theminifo...r/?fromsearch=1

#4 Pete - W.Sussex

Pete - W.Sussex

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 09:26 AM

Couldn’t you have used the existing oil temp sensor location - that’s what I have done on my MPI (but it’s electric)?

#5 leewaa

leewaa

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 10:28 AM

I would have got a fitting with the correct thread so you don’t need an adaptor.

so either have that fitting machined. Needs engine splitting to remove it.

block it off and fit it somewhere else.

get a different temp gauge.

Even with backing plate with the correct thread I would still need some kind of extension as the capillary is very long and would limit oil flow.

You can get one of these Mishimoto sandwich plates:

http://www.theminifo...r/?fromsearch=1

Ah nice, will investigate this route! However I do have limited space as I already have an oil cooler with the Mocal sandwich plate fitted and a large alu radiator for water cooling. 

Attached File  DBEA2742-7999-46B1-A892-464B15F673E4.JPG   55.1K   1 downloadsAttached File  IMG_0973.jpg   90.4K   4 downloadsAttached File  IMG_8980.jpg   78.19K   1 downloads

Couldn’t you have used the existing oil temp sensor location - that’s what I have done on my MPI (but it’s electric)?

The threads here are different, and I would like to keep the original temperature gauge. 

Edited by leewaa, 24 November 2019 - 10:51 AM.

#6 leewaa

leewaa

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 05:12 PM

After scouring the internet for a solution to fitting a mechanical oil temperature gauge I have decided to give up on it and go with an electric gauge. I didn't realise until checking the owners manual that the temperature gauge in the speedo cluster is actually the water temp and not the oil temp. So I will hook into the original temp sender and fit an electric gauge. I would have preferred a mechanical one, but oh well, i've wasted to much time on this and theres no way I can easily fit a capillary anywhere to the engine.

I can't believe however how little information there is on this subject as it is a pretty common thing to do. What is also frustrating is how all mechanical gauges advertised online do not list any specifications on the capillary about size, thread, etc. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users