60 replies to this topic

#1 Bdshim

Bdshim

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 12:08 PM

Bit of a story behind this was looking for a project small garage so I thought small car a classic mini ! This came up local my mini knowledge is very minimal but I thought a few things were different after some research found it was an rsp ! It arrived yesterday plan is to do a full restoration on it but this is were it is at the moment the primer was on it and I suspect its hiding all sorts.... and someone's attempt at a quick repair..

Edited by Bdshim, 24 November 2019 - 03:11 PM.

#2 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 24 November 2019 - 02:11 PM

Go all over the likely areas, touching it with magnet.  It doesn't "Clunk" onto the body on the filler, in quite the same way as it does to the steel.

#3 Bdshim

Bdshim

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 02:57 PM

Go all over the likely areas, touching it with magnet.  It doesn't "Clunk" onto the body on the filler, in quite the same way as it does to the steel.

The filler is there I started removing the bitumen on the floor today and can see were filler has been shoved in the rear quarters is a heat gun and scraper the best way? Il hopefully have some pictures soon !

#4 Bdshim

Bdshim

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 03:09 PM

DMvtKr.jpg

ro9iK3.jpg

hU15xM.jpg

#5 minidizzy

minidizzy

Super Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC, Mini Cooper Register

Posted 25 November 2019 - 12:11 AM

That will be a great project and an RSP is certainly worth the effort. I am sure you have done your research but just to confirm an RSP will have a VIN ending BAD and then four digits From 0001 to 1650. I think I can just make out the sunroof on your first image.

There are two Facebook groups:

Mini Cooper RSP Group - this is open but also related to a private group, which you would be welcome to join:

RSP Cooper Register ( for owners past & present )

RSP owners are very sociable and there is always plenty of advice and information on offer.

Edited by minidizzy, 25 November 2019 - 12:12 AM.

#6 Bdshim

Bdshim

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 05:47 AM

That will be a great project and an RSP is certainly worth the effort. I am sure you have done your research but just to confirm an RSP will have a VIN ending BAD and then four digits From 0001 to 1650. I think I can just make out the sunroof on your first image.
There are two Facebook groups:
Mini Cooper RSP Group - this is open but also related to a private group, which you would be welcome to join:
RSP Cooper Register ( for owners past & present )
RSP owners are very sociable and there is always plenty of advice and information on offer.

Hi there yes I did cheak the above all seems to be there, the seats and other bits like the door handles etc seems to be there only seem to be missing a rear door card, the 1275 was apparently overhauled by the mini centre there a heavy little engine!

Edited by Bdshim, 25 November 2019 - 05:55 AM.

#7 Bdshim

Bdshim

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 05:47 AM

I will get some better pictures all the glass is with it along with the original sunroof, I'm debating weather to get it blasted the shell or just do in stages with a wire wheel the floor looks pretty good but we will see back to removing that bitumen is my first job

Edited by Bdshim, 25 November 2019 - 07:05 AM.

#8 Wise Old Elf

Wise Old Elf

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts
  • Local Club: Club Lotus

Posted 25 November 2019 - 09:38 AM

Lol have a look at my RSP rebuild. I think they all come rusty. I will finish it one day.

#9 Bdshim

Bdshim

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 05:35 PM

gave the seats a quick clean before they go in storage came up well for there age!

wQ2ntr.jpg

MiNZ9s.jpg

4IdmiU.jpg

found these as well are the cooper stickers available as one is missing >_<  

Edited by Bdshim, 25 November 2019 - 05:48 PM.

#10 minidizzy

minidizzy

Super Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 07:23 PM

The seats look great.

The window winders were not original fitments. John Cooper Garages started selling them around 1993, I think, but the ones with signatures date from around 1997 and at the time cost £67.95 a pair. It will be hard to find a replacement badge and there have been a lot of fakes on sale. The Cooper Car Company now sell genuine winders through MiniSport for £95 a pair - very expensive but perhaps not so bad considering what they cost 22 years ago.

#11 Bdshim

Bdshim

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 07:58 PM

The seats look great.
The window winders were not original fitments. John Cooper Garages started selling them around 1993, I think, but the ones with signatures date from around 1997 and at the time cost £67.95 a pair. It will be hard to find a replacement badge and there have been a lot of fakes on sale. The Cooper Car Company now sell genuine winders through MiniSport for £95 a pair - very expensive but perhaps not so bad considering what they cost 22 years ago.

Ah I see thank you for that, what would have originally been used just plain ones like other minis? Think maybe I should put it back as it would have been when it left the factory parts wise not bodywork wise ?

#12 minidizzy

minidizzy

Super Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 06:55 PM

Yes. Window winders (YGA4330), bezels (G281), door handles (JPC8387PA) and door pulls (YXX451LOY) were standard black plastic.

The original owner of my RSP spent a fortune at John Cooper Garages in the early 90s but because everything was a period modification I wouldn't want to change anything back to absolute original. I do not have the distinctive red steering wheel because the car has a John Cooper Motolita version instead. I am very happy with that.

#13 Bdshim

Bdshim

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 07:53 PM

Yes. Window winders (YGA4330), bezels (G281), door handles (JPC8387PA) and door pulls (YXX451LOY) were standard black plastic.
The original owner of my RSP spent a fortune at John Cooper Garages in the early 90s but because everything was a period modification I wouldn't want to change anything back to absolute original. I do not have the distinctive red steering wheel because the car has a John Cooper Motolita version instead. I am very happy with that.

Thank you much appreciated, I will see at the time weather I use them or not might be abit to bling for me

#14 Bdshim

Bdshim

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 05:10 PM

soooo bit of an update, removed the sound proofing from the floor it looks fairly solid in the middle hopefully this is a good sign...?

MepwEMq.jpg

oBJcv0O.jpg

then had two bolts snap in the heel board for the rear subframe thanks all for the advice but i managed slide a hacksaw blade in and slowly cut/lever to cut through it.

gNmfIhG.jpg

mzOR5UB.jpg

rear subby off i have now stripped off the arms etc but the frame is shot in very poor state with previous welding repairs >_<

PTKEjzc.jpg

next is the front subframe then to make a spit up also brought a welder and a new trolley jack :D

edit : need to work on image sizes  :shy:  :lol:

Edited by Bdshim, 08 January 2020 - 05:18 PM.

#15 Bdshim

Bdshim

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 03:28 PM

got the front subframe off today the new jack was a great help in this..

sjWKfuw.jpg

which looked in good condition !

tShtgNG.jpg

Edited by Bdshim, 12 January 2020 - 03:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users