11 replies to this topic

#1 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 09:31 PM

I'm rebuilding an '86 Mini saloon and have a question regarding the rear parcel shelf ... the old one is pretty shot and initially I'd planned to simply re-cover it in some textured vinyl, however the shelf itself appears to be 3mm hardboard which over time with general damp issues is no longer flat.

So I could replace it with the same, hardboard with the vinyl I have, or are there better alternatives that would resist time better, maybe plywood or foamex board etc, something that will remain flat? My plan would also be to increase the thickness to 5mm to aid the rigidity.

Thought?

#2 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 09:54 PM

Last time I needed one I used 4mm ply wrapped in acoustic carpet as that’s what I had lying around.

I think 5mm might be a bit overkill for something with no load that rarely gets touched but it won’t hurt.

#3 Dannyboolahlah

Dannyboolahlah

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 10:02 PM

Plywood (particularly marine ply) is much better at getting damp than hardboard.

#4 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 06:58 AM

Alternatively there are carbon fiber but I think you'll have to bound / fix it. It's too light.

I bought an aftermarket vinyl ones. It's just sh*t. In summer it deforms too much. In winter the vinyl makes waves on it. It's garbage. You are right to make your own

#5 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 07:38 AM

I’m going to order a sheet of 5mm foamex, I’ve never used it but it looks interesting stuff. I plan to cover it with the grained vinyl then anchor it from below with some short screws, there’s enough historic drilling’s in the steel shelf to not need to drill any new ones!
I’m not sure how stable the foamex will be to heat, I’ll likely know in 12 months time ...

#6 smurfomatic

smurfomatic

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 08:56 AM

Foamex is good stuff, as long as it doesn't get bent too far (like a heavy weight on the parcel shelf) otherwise it'll snap! It's stable in a wide range of temperatures. I worked for a sign company a few years ago, they'd use 5mm and 10mm foamex for external signage and it didn't warp.

#7 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,915 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 26 November 2019 - 08:57 AM

I’m going to order a sheet of 5mm foamex, I’ve never used it but it looks interesting stuff. I plan to cover it with the grained vinyl then anchor it from below with some short screws, there’s enough historic drilling’s in the steel shelf to not need to drill any new ones!
I’m not sure how stable the foamex will be to heat, I’ll likely know in 12 months time ...

It's supposed to be water-repellent so it might be worth a try .. can't find any mention of heat resistance on various websites but looks pretty hard wearing

#8 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 09:32 AM

Just make sure your window seals on the rear and sides are not leaking.

#9 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 10:23 AM

have you considered mdf ? it's pretty easy to shape, shouldn't warp and pretty dense so shouldn't rattle.  you can get moisture resistant mdf or just seal the normal stuff if you're worried about damp getting to it.

makes an effective base for parcel shelf speakers too.. 

#10 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 12:17 PM

have you considered mdf ? it's pretty easy to shape, shouldn't warp and pretty dense so shouldn't rattle.  you can get moisture resistant mdf or just seal the normal stuff if you're worried about damp getting to it.

makes an effective base for parcel shelf speakers too.. 

Without refitting the rear seat back I'm not sure how much tolerance there is to go thicker with the parcel shelf? The top of the seat fits over the front edge of the parcel shelf and if I go too thick the seat back won't drop low enough down ... or am I worrying unduly!

The thinnest MDF seems to be 6mm and the vinyl would probably add another 1 - 2mm, the seat back was previously in contact with the old 3mm shelf. This needs to be a replacement rather than a drop-in like a speaker board.

MDF would actually be easier because it seems getting the small size of foamex I need online runs up to a silly cost.

#11 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 12:40 PM

if using thicker material for the shelf you may need to chamfer the rear edge otherwise it may foul on the screen rubber, and take a bit off the front edge to allow for the rear seat return, as you've noted.  other than that it i don't think it should be too much of an issue.

#12 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 12:53 PM

I bought a newton commercial rear parcel shelf been on 2 years now and not had a problem with it I put some 3mm foiled backed closed cell foam sound insulation to the metal shelf, foil taped the joints and sealed the exposed board with water resistant glue. The back seat went back fine without distorting the panel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users