Photo
- - - - -

Which Brake Master Cylinder And Distributor Are These?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 psoutzis

psoutzis

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Local Club: Cyprus Mini Club

Posted 26 November 2019 - 01:10 PM

Hey guys, i am about to order a repair kit for my brake master cylinder and also a distributor cap but i am not sure which ones to order from Minispares.

I have attached photos from the distributor, and the brake master cylinder. Is this the GMC167 Master cylinder? and the 25D Distributor ? Can you please tell me the part numbers from mini spares.

Thank you 

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.jpg   39.95K   4 downloads
  • Attached File  2.jpg   47.67K   6 downloads
  • Attached File  3.jpg   51.42K   3 downloads
  • Attached File  4.jpg   36.8K   2 downloads

#2 gav

gav

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 03:36 PM

Looks like a GMC173 which is NLA as are the repair kits, you'd need to buy GMC227 and BAU5654MS. Distributor is 45D, what size engine is it?

#3 psoutzis

psoutzis

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 03:50 PM

It is a 998cc engine, 1979 Mini. I only need the repair kit for the brake master cylinder. Any chance minispares got a repair kit ?

#4 gav

gav

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 04:03 PM

Nope I am Minispares :P Use BAU1962 for the dizzy or BAU1962MS for electronic.

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,884 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 26 November 2019 - 06:15 PM

Can I help out here Gav ?

Looks like a GMC173 which is NLA as are the repair kits,

The master you have is a GMC167 and this would be the kit   http://www.minispare...ic/GRK1002.aspx

I see too the Fail Switch is missing. If you want (or need) a Fail Indication, I've been fitting the Caps from the Yellow Tag as these are much more reliable  

http://www.minispare...27.aspx|Back to

#6 psoutzis

psoutzis

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 06:30 PM

The master you have is a GMC167 and this would be the kit   http://www.minispare...ic/GRK1002.aspx

I see too the Fail Switch is missing. If you want (or need) a Fail Indication, I've been fitting the Caps from the Yellow Tag as these are much more reliable  

Hello and thank you for your help. 

I spoke with minispares earlier and send them these pictures, the guy at the counter told me that it is something like an earlier model and the repair kit to get is the GRK1016 (which only includes the seals and not the piston).

So, i asked him, if i want the piston as well and he told me that o have to buy the whole setup (GMC227) and the pipe kit (BAU5654MS) due to the different configuration.

What do you think?

#7 psoutzis

psoutzis

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 06:32 PM

Hello and thank you for your help. 

I spoke with minispares earlier and send them these pictures, the guy at the counter told me that it is something like an earlier model and the repair kit to get is the GRK1016 (which only includes the seals and not the piston).

So, i asked him, if i want the piston as well and he told me that o have to buy the whole setup (GMC227) and the pipe kit (BAU5654MS) due to the different configuration.

What do you think?

#8 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,884 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 07:46 PM

It would be easier to replace it with the same as you have

http://www.minispare...px|Back to shop

There is however 2 types in this cylinder. The very early type had 3/8" UNF Threads for the Unions and the later ones (and the new replacement) has Metric M10 x 1.0 Threads for the Unions.

They are very hard to pick which you have. If you undo a Brake Line and see if you can screw on a Wheel Nut on the Union. If you can, you have 3/8" UNF fittings, if it won't go on, then you'll have M10 x 1.0 fittings.

#9 gav

gav

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 09:15 AM

Hmm GMC167 was my 1st thought but the regulator valve on the bulkhead threw me. Good shout on the caps ;)

#10 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,884 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 09:42 AM

Hmm GMC167 was my 1st thought but the regulator valve on the bulkhead threw me. Good shout on the caps ;)

Depends on the Market for which the car was made for and how the Brakes are arranged, ie, front / rear split or diagonal.

In our local market, these were the Masters we got when they went to Tandem Brakes, in a Front / Rear split. Early on they used the 'Regulator' on the Bulkhead and later they went to the Inertia Valve on the side of the Rear Subframe.

While a better Cylinder, the Yellow Tag types don't meet our local Registration Requirements.

#11 gav

gav

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 11:02 AM

Ah export cars could explain a few things, I don't think UK cars with diag split ever had the valve on the bulkhead from memory.

#12 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,401 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 27 November 2019 - 02:17 PM

Defo not, a FAM7821 couldn't work with anything other than front rear split. I confess I didn't even spot there was one in the photo  :shy:

Psoutiz,

Do note if you end up going with the GMC227 it doesn't plumb in as a direct replacement, so read the fitting instructions to identify which should be the front & rear outlets - or use the forum :-) 

The lower connection is also M12x1, likely easier just to buy the BAU5654MS

#13 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,884 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 05:42 PM

Ah export cars could explain a few things, I don't think UK cars with diag split ever had the valve on the bulkhead from memory.

If you think about a Tandem System and how, in detail, the system works, it's not practical to fit a Valve at all on Diagonal Split Systems.

#14 gav

gav

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 10:50 AM

If you think about a Tandem System and how, in detail, the system works, it's not practical to fit a Valve at all on Diagonal Split Systems.

Exactly that hence I thought it wasn't a GMC167 as we list it as diagonal split ;) I wasn't aware of other markets using it for front to rear with a valve.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users