Tumbleweed-Connection

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 27 November 2019 - 09:03 PM

Hi fellow TMF-ers,

Has anyone on here replaced the covering on their factory fitted Webasto sliding roof with the one offered by Somerford Mini and who might also happen to have/could easily take a close up picture of the material?

I have tried phoning Somerford directly to establish whether it's a smooth vinyl type finish (similar to the likes of a 70s Ford Cortina), or closer to the OEM more textured, rubbery type, finish that was fitted to the later cars as standard. Unfortunately, they have told me that it is nigh on on impossible for them to even consider trying to take a picture of this for me, which must mean that this is either a heavily guarded trade secret, or they are simply not that interested in my custom. The only pointer I could get was that they "sell 30 or so a year", which doesn't really answer the question.

If anyone on here could share a quick pic, or even their experience with replacing one of these, then it would be appreciated. What is the quality like and how has it stood the test of time? I only really want to do this once if it can be at all avoided!

Thanks

Jacob

#2 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 07:31 PM

I got one to replace my girlfriends mpi one. It was exactly the same as the original, just not shrinked like the old one ?, but it's a sort of rubbery grippy textured thingy... Bit difficult to describe really.
Could try to take a picture in the morning, but it's quite difficult to capture.
As for changing it, it's pretty easy if you are good at taking things apart but I would say it would need a new headlining as you will need to remove it to get the sunroof off and window seals too.
I suppose it would-be possible without new but it would be almost impossible to not stretch it and it would-be a good thing to just renew the lot a once.
Hope this might help a bit, anymore info just shout and I'm sure a few more will post some advice too.

Ben

#3 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 10:52 PM

You may be able to get to the bolts holding the frame on by releasing the roof liner from the sun roof frame but it will be difficult not to rip it at the corners, I had the screens out anyway so it was easy. But if you do manage not to damage the liner getting to the bolts you will probably make a mess of it getting the bottom frame in and out - ask me how I know, I really should have taken the liner out :shy:

Oh449s4.jpg

#4 Tumbleweed-Connection

Tumbleweed-Connection

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 28 November 2019 - 11:20 PM

Thanks, chaps. This is giving me a better idea. I have a supplier in Holland who has provided me with some decent pictures of the covering that he offers, which looks bang on against OEM. Naturally, this is a bit more pricey compared to the Somerford solution, so just want to be sure there isn’t something a bit more locally before I hemorrhage a lung getting a replacement over from Europe.

Any pictures of the covering itself as well, would be greatly appreciated.

I am indeed going to replace the headlining at the same time and I have a Rover original, hence the only wanting to do the process once.

Edited by Tumbleweed-Connection, 28 November 2019 - 11:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users