#1 tj80

tj80

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 02:40 PM

So a 5 minute job turned into something worse - who'd have thought!   O_O

I popped the front cap off the heated rear window rocker switch on my wife's '91 Mayfair to change the blown bulb - unfortunately I put the plastic rocker part on the dash "shelf" and it disappeared off somewhere!  It must be under or behind some part of the trim but I can't find it for the life of me!  So a few questions...

- How do I remove the dash "shelf"?  I can lift the edge closest to me up but can't seem to move the whole thing without damage.  I guess the switch rocker is somewhere behind or under it, but I can't see it!

- Does anyone know of a source for a replacement switch if I can't find the old rocker?  There are a few on eBay, but they mostly seem to have amber illumination and the old one was green.  I'd like to keep it original if possible!

- While we're on the subject, I want to replace the radio but can't figure out how to get the thing out!  There's no slot for removal keys so it looks like I need to take the bracket off the bottom of the dash (it's the factory fit bracket which is attached under the dash on the passenger side).  I can see what look like bolts running up to the dash, but there are no ends to reach from underneath.  Are the ends under the dash shelf?  If not, how do you get the thing off?!

Thanks,
Tim

#2 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 28 November 2019 - 04:31 PM

Is it an old style radio with knobs at the ends?If so remove the knobs and unscrew the nuts behind them.There may also be a strap fitted at the back of the unit.My car radio was not a DIN fitting.Steve..

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 28 November 2019 - 05:18 PM

I would suggest pictures of what you are actually trying to remove as it may or may not be factory fitted.

#4 tj80

tj80

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 07:39 PM

Thanks. It's a modern aftermarket stereo fitted by the previous owner into the original factory under-dash bracket. I think it's in one of those cages with the bendable triangular tabs so I need to get the bracket off the bottom of the dashboard. Looks like maybe there are screws under the dash shelf but I can't get that out without damage! Will try to take a picture tomorrow when it's light.

Thanks,
Tim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users