5 replies to this topic

#1 Eddie B

Eddie B

Just On Tickover

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 10:38 AM

Only had my mini a few days and not familiar with it just yet. Last night the engine died as I was accelerating in 3rd gear. I managed to turn into a bus layby - tried the starter but all that happens then and since is a clicking solenoid. I called the AA. The patrolman tried to bump start the van by towing it but despite the motor turning it wouldn't fire up. I was towed home and the van is in my garage. So far I have established that there is 13.5 volts reaching the solenoid. 

Where do I start?

The vehicle is a 1979 van with a 1275 engine fitted.

#2 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 29 November 2019 - 12:42 PM

So is the starter turning the engine over? If yes, then you can probably discount the starter and solenoid.

So then it's either fuel or ignition (coil/distributor) .. you have got fuel? ;-)

Did it splutter to a stop? That is probably fuel.

If it was a sudden stop then I'd start with ignition circuit.

Spin the engine and then take a plug out .. wet and petrol smell? Fueling is OK. Plugs dry? Pump or fuel blockage.

There will be posts on here about "Trouble-shooting" ..

If you do change something ... do one thing at a time!

Edited by gazza82, 29 November 2019 - 12:44 PM.

#3 Eddie B

Eddie B

Just On Tickover

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 01:07 PM

So is the starter turning the engine over? If yes, then you can probably discount the starter and solenoid.

So then it's either fuel or ignition (coil/distributor) .. you have got fuel? ;-)

Did it splutter to a stop? That is probably fuel.

If it was a sudden stop then I'd start with ignition circuit.

Spin the engine and then take a plug out .. wet and petrol smell? Fueling is OK. Plugs dry? Pump or fuel blockage.

There will be posts on here about "Trouble-shooting" ..

If you do change something ... do one thing at a time!

I did manage to find a broken tag on the starter and now that seems to be ok. 

The car cut out - didn't splutter so I'll work on the basis that it is an ignition issue. 

#4 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 01:15 PM

check for a spark? if no spark is there 12v getting to the + side of the coil

#5 Eddie B

Eddie B

Just On Tickover

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 04:16 PM

Oh the shame of it dear Forum readers. As suggested above I turned the motor over a few times then took out a plug and had a look and a sniff - no hint of fuel! Not a whiff!

I knew I shouldn't have trusted the fuel gauge and meant to nip into Morrisons last night even though it was still reading three quarters full. It conked out about a mile later. 

So, I dipped the tank with a stick - nothing, bone dry - so to further check I disconnected what I assume to be the supply to the carb - the other end of it is attached to a fuel filter - put the supply end in a bottle and spun the motor a few more times - nothing - not a drop in the bottle. So thanks gazza for your plug tip. 

I suspect I'll be availing myself quite a lot over the next weeks and months whilst I learn more about the foibles of mini ownership

#6 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,902 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 29 November 2019 - 05:07 PM

Well at least it was simple this time .. :-)

The best one I had was the thin wire in the distributor .. that decided that it had run its course on a blind bend, going up hill on a narrow road with a bank on the near side!!

At least it gave me a chance to use my shiny new emergency triangle my parent's bought me the Christmas before .. and which I nearly forgot to go back and get when I managed to bodge the car to get it going again .. and I don't think I've used since!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users