4 replies to this topic

#1 orcadian

orcadian

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 03:56 PM

I realise that most folk complain that their cars won’t start but this little bugger won’t stop!

The story:
Belongs to a friend who bought this very rough, long time unused rotten MPI. He decided to put all the bits into a good but earlier shell. Couldn’t get it to run so asked me to look. Lots of stuff not connected and some bits incorrectly connected. Has 5AS and fob but that never needs activating like my own MPI engined Clubman Estate does - which is baffling to me. Connected some missing earths, sorted the fuel pump wiring and connected the unconnected Lambda sensor. Result! Engine now runs but will not turn off using the key!

Before I go any further checking the whole loom, is this something anyone else has experienced - like a dud relay which is permanently holding in?

Swapped the relay pack with mine - no difference. Swapped the ignition switch - no difference. After stalling the engine by blocking the air intake and turning off the ignition, the battery didn’t go flat after a couple of weeks, so what ever was keeping the engine going must shut down eventually.

Any ideas?

Ian

#2 viz139

viz139

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Local Club: Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 29 November 2019 - 05:51 PM

If the charge light is working as it should try removing the bulb. May be some sort of back feed onto the white circuit holding the circuit on.

#3 orcadian

orcadian

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 06:25 PM

Hi Viz ,
That’s something worth looking at that I haven’t tried. When there were things not properly connected there was a noise from the relay pack and the Rev counter was all over the place, even without the engine running. Now more things are correct, that has stopped but the Rev counter isn’t working either. Charge light seems a logical back feed place. Also there is a difference in alternator wiring from my own car but I’m away from it again now, so can’t compare and report.

Will report back but it will be a while before I’m back there.
Ian

#4 tmsmini

tmsmini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • Local Club: MOASF

Posted 30 November 2019 - 01:51 AM

Which loom did you use or which pieces of which one?

The later starters connect differently than the early ones.

Terry

#5 orcadian

orcadian

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 08:04 AM

Hi Terry,
Not absolutely certain but I think he used the whole loom from the rotten MPI, together with the whole engine/box from the same car. Good point though about different starter wiring - I’ll quiz him further about anything he swapped - perhaps other bits have been messed with. As we all know, it can be a nightmare trying to sort out other folks mess! Much easier when you have done ALL of the work yourself. The manifold sensor and fuel cutoff sensor plugs/sockets are identical layout and were the wrong way round - totally different wiring colours though, so no excuse.

Edit: at least the car runs now, so the delicate stuff like the ECU must be OK. I will say that he has made an otherwise great job on the car and the engine sounds really sweet. There is still some way to go with reassembly but it seems like another one saved.

Ian

Edited by orcadian, 30 November 2019 - 08:17 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users