https://www.ebay.co....NsAAOSwai5d1PFt

#2 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 11:20 PM

Its an interesting car but i'm not sure its worth that much in that condition (i.e. not concours or near concours).

I own the very first 3.8 MK2 jag, its almost certainly the oldest one left (As they made them in 2.4 and 3.4 versions as well) and its highly possible that it was the very first of all of them but its the only one with no recorded build date.  I have history for it from Jaguars expiremental department including photos of the factory records.

I looked at selling it but from speaking to various auction houses (Bonhams etc.) it became apparent that its value was likely to be around 10-20% higher than a normal one.

I would therefore suggest that even a car as famous and influental as the mini cooper S is not going to command that level of premium over an equavilent car, especially as its no the first, just (possibly) the oldest.

Having said that the first Triumph Spitfire was sold a few years back and it was advertised for 45K, a really nice MK1 Spitfire at the time would have struggled to break 12-15K.  I'm not sure what it sold for and couldn't find out.

I guess as with all things its worth what someone will pay on the day.

#3 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 11:48 PM

Yep, 99% of mini owners wouldn’t value that fact over a concours one, perhaps some rich type with more money than sense will pay that. Weird it’s only on as a 1 day auction, might be a scam

#4 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 10:03 AM

Its an interesting car but i'm not sure its worth that much in that condition (i.e. not concours or near concours).

I own the very first 3.8 MK2 jag, its almost certainly the oldest one left (As they made them in 2.4 and 3.4 versions as well) and its highly possible that it was the very first of all of them but its the only one with no recorded build date.  I have history for it from Jaguars expiremental department including photos of the factory records.

I looked at selling it but from speaking to various auction houses (Bonhams etc.) it became apparent that its value was likely to be around 10-20% higher than a normal one.

I would therefore suggest that even a car as famous and influental as the mini cooper S is not going to command that level of premium over an equavilent car, especially as its no the first, just (possibly) the oldest.

Having said that the first Triumph Spitfire was sold a few years back and it was advertised for 45K, a really nice MK1 Spitfire at the time would have struggled to break 12-15K.  I'm not sure what it sold for and couldn't find out.

I guess as with all things its worth what someone will pay on the day.

Absoloutely love a Mk2 Jaguar - any pictures?

Yep, 99% of mini owners wouldn’t value that fact over a concours one, perhaps some rich type with more money than sense will pay that. Weird it’s only on as a 1 day auction, might be a scam

This has been discussed on the Mk1 Mini Forum, this cooper is advertised regularly at differing high prices with different 'original' parts fitted.

Whilst it certainly is collectable and all the better for not having been restored the general consensus is that its overpriced.

#5 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 11:41 AM

Hi,

I don't know how to put pictures up on here but there is a link to my restoration thread on another forum.

https://www.jaguarfo...n-161678/page6/

#6 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 30 November 2019 - 12:27 PM

Beware....

http://mk1-forum.net...php?f=5&t=26984

#7 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 08:45 PM

Hi,

I don't know how to put pictures up on here but there is a link to my restoration thread on another forum.

https://www.jaguarfo...n-161678/page6/

Beautiful Mk2 and a very early one, looking lovely in grey with steel wheels!

My fantasy Mk2 would be a red 3.8 on chrome wire wheels  :D , I may just be grateful for my little Mk1 Mini!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users