4 replies to this topic

#1 pakgorgor

pakgorgor

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 11:30 AM

Just putting the gearbox back together now. I've got everything in and I'm shifting through the gears to make sure everything works.

One thing I'm finding is that it's a little tough shifting into third and fourth. If I try to select fourth manually by pushing on the synchro hub, it goes in no problem, but if I push a little too hard it would go past fourth to the point where the synchro hub balls are slightly exposed. There's nothing stopping the hub from shifting past fourth.

It never did this before.

#2 floormanager

floormanager

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Sussex

Posted 30 November 2019 - 03:23 PM

Be careful.  It's possible to push the Syncho hub too far and you'll be hunting springs and balls (I learnt the hard way). On a remote box, you need the third motion shaft bearing (main bearing C clamp fitted to prevent it happening.  On a rod change, I can't remember what stops the selector going too far but it is possible for all the balls to go flying!

#3 pakgorgor

pakgorgor

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 05:13 PM

Oh that's happened a few times already. I'm getting really good at searching the room for metal balls! :)

I looked at it again. Correct me if I'm wrong, but once the detent ball and spring is in, it will prevent the selector shaft from going too far forward, thereby over shifting into 4th? Can anyone confirm?

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,843 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 30 November 2019 - 06:17 PM

I've come across this in late cases.

The bosses on the selector forks are what normally sets the 'stops', though, to be honest, I haven't had a lot of time to look right in to this.

Here, you can see the 3/4 Fork against the Shift Stop

REyGvHD.jpg

This this the bosses here

LZQrmtJ.jpg

It's not right though and something needs to be done with it before fitting.

With the boxes I've done where this has occurred, I drilled and tapped the front web of the case and fitted an adjustable stop.

YMq8I2C.jpg

Another and probably better way is to fit the right width spacer over the Shift Rod to make up for how far short the bosses are.

NOTE: There needs to be some overshoot in the setup to allow for normal wear. I'll look that up.

As I say, I haven't had time to look right in to this and why it would be so. Guessing here, the Forks and / or Cases were different for these Gearboxes.

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,843 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 30 November 2019 - 06:30 PM

NOTE: There needs to be some overshoot in the setup to allow for normal wear. I'll look that up.

There needs to be between 0.012 and 0.020" Overshoot. I'd suggest setting it closer to the 0.020" mark, say between 0.015 and 0.018".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users