10 replies to this topic

#1 wreckitralph

wreckitralph

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 01:19 AM

i picked up a mini cheap yesterday in order to scavenge parts from it its been sat outside for a few years but has a few nice bts and  the wheels alone are worth the price   so  today whilst stripping her ive found it has 80mm box section inner cills so if you imagine the door step and b pillar in place with no inner cill  the companion bins removed and the stiffener that attaches to the heel board removed   it looks like they have put a length either side running in the cavity under neath the door step  so the step is sitting directly on top of the box section from front to rear

theres a closing plate welded on the end of the box section  with captive nuts for the subframe 

on the inside of the door step where the door seal lip is theres a 90 degree folded strip that runs front to back seam welded to the box section  spot welded to the  step    it looks to have been done really well welding is superb   tbf  the floor pan is welded to the underside of the box section the only tell tale sign from outside is that the outer cill  has an extra fold in it  so the cill sits flat on the floor /box section    i have no idea why it was done  but thought i would  post up for ideas    i will get pics tomoz

Edited by wreckitralph, 02 December 2019 - 01:29 AM.

#2 GT Jimmy

GT Jimmy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 02 December 2019 - 08:11 AM

Were they planning a cabrio conversion?

#3 wreckitralph

wreckitralph

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 08:23 AM

ah ok

i didnt even think of that  and now you mention it i did sell a capri to a guy  in swansea many years ago who was going to cabrio it and i seem to remember him saying he was going  to do it by starting with the  inner cills by boxing them i didnt realise he literaly meant box section in the cills mind

#4 whistler

whistler

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:20 AM

My wife's convertable has box sections along each inner sill from wheelarch to bins. To the quick view they look like part of the original chassis.

#5 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:59 AM

yeah sounds like the cabrio strengthening,

theres a bit on it here  https://www.aronline...i-convertibles/

#6 OzOAP

OzOAP

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:08 AM

We put box section in the sills of our rally cars, with a threaded block welded to the rear. The rear subframe bolted to solid block, welded to box section that continued to the bottom of the front wheel arch.
Screenshot_20160703-190145_zpstkvrfnbb.p

#7 wreckitralph

wreckitralph

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 01:49 PM

i would imagine it would be mega strong  and stiff to be honest      i hopefully will get pics later depends what time i get home from work

#8 wreckitralph

wreckitralph

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 02:15 PM

We put box section in the sills of our rally cars, with a threaded block welded to the rear. The rear subframe bolted to solid block, welded to box section that continued to the bottom of the front wheel arch.
Screenshot_20160703-190145_zpstkvrfnbb.p

do you have any pics never heard of it on a rally car can see why tho pretty substantial

Edited by wreckitralph, 02 December 2019 - 02:16 PM.

#9 whistler

whistler

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 04:50 PM

I did notice that Project Binky has a curved scaffold pole inserted on both sides.

#10 wreckitralph

wreckitralph

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 05:12 PM

ive looked at loads of miglia style shells and they dont have anything like that [not that ive seen anyway] apart from abit of extra weight makes a lot of sense  the more i think about it and being the mini is not exactly safe in the event of a crash    would imagine it helps  quite a bit   and would be great with a roll cage tied into it  on the a and b bosts   being 3 mmm [or whatever] wall thickness as opposed to the 0.9 of the mini body panels  [i had a magnum inner cill once that was 0.7 according to  a set of verniers  bloody fag paper

Edited by wreckitralph, 02 December 2019 - 05:13 PM.

#11 OzOAP

OzOAP

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 06:41 AM

We are not allowed to run a Miglia style roll cage in FIA Historic Rallying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users