4 replies to this topic

#1 BritishOpenInBelgium

BritishOpenInBelgium

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:28 PM

Hey guys I’m new to the forum, I just picked up this car and the front wheels are locked up, rotars are very corroded, but I’m also not able to get the shifter to move, whether it is in neutral or not is unclear and I don’t wish to force it. I basically need to get it in the air and the wheels off but I was hoping someone might know exactly what the problem is. Haven’t tried to start as I haven’t gotten to changing all the fluids yet. Thanks for any help!

#2 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 03 December 2019 - 01:56 PM

If it's been sat, check fluids - oil and coolant to see if its actually present! My recommendation would be to put a little diesel fuel down each of the cylinders to free up the rings. Secondly, it sounds like your discs are seized to the pads. Personally i'd take the wheel off and see if you can manually free them. Do the rear wheels move with the handbrake off?

When you say the shifter in unable to move, have you tried to see if it is in gear? Give it a little force in the forward or aft position or side to side. It may just be gummed up!

#3 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 03 December 2019 - 03:24 PM

Do you know how long ago it is since it was last used ?

#4 BritishOpenInBelgium

BritishOpenInBelgium

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:03 PM

If it's been sat, check fluids - oil and coolant to see if its actually present! My recommendation would be to put a little diesel fuel down each of the cylinders to free up the rings. Secondly, it sounds like your discs are seized to the pads. Personally i'd take the wheel off and see if you can manually free them. Do the rear wheels move with the handbrake off?

When you say the shifter in unable to move, have you tried to see if it is in gear? Give it a little force in the forward or aft position or side to side. It may just be gummed up!

#5 BritishOpenInBelgium

BritishOpenInBelgium

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:14 PM

Steve2020 Coolant looks decently actually, as does brake fluid, oil doesnt register on dipstick but obviously the car isn’t running, got a better look at the front and the rotars are completely rusted, rear wheels will turn although a bit reluctantly.
The shifter feels like if I push it any harder I’m going to bend something, only directly I can get some movement is up and to the right toward reverse.

Deadsquare As far as I know the car hasn’t been used in the last 5-7 years

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users