5 replies to this topic

#1 Eddie B

Eddie B

Just On Tickover

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 03:55 PM

I have recently acquired a Minivan at vast expense and have a few issues which I would like to sort out. Main item concerns the driver and passenger doors which do not fit properly when closed - they both stick out at the bottom. There doesn't seem to be any scope for adjustment. Is the solution a new pair of doors?

I have been in contact with a chap up near Blackpool, the Mini Door Company who can supply at £400 each in primer but before I throw any more money at my new purchase I want to be sure they will solve the 'not shutting problem'

My vehicle is a 1979 model with sliding windows.

Thanks in anticipation

#2 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 04:19 PM

I would think it's more likely to be the hinges, door seals, or possibly the a-panel fitting than the doors themselves

first thing to check is the condition of the hinges as the pins and bushes do wear.

with each door open, try lifting the outer end - there will be noticeable movement if the hinges are worn.  new pins/bushes are available, but if badly worn sometimes the only option is replacement of the entire hinge.  again they are available, but at some cost..

something else to try is to remove the door seal rubber and see what difference that makes

even after a total rebuild, the doors on mine poke out a little bit once the door seal is in place...

#3 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 07 December 2019 - 05:24 PM

I agree with what KTS has suggested here and about the only other thing I'll add is it is 100% normal to need to twist / bend any door to get them to fit perfect. As drastic as this might sound, they did it in the factory to get the fits right.

#4 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 07 December 2019 - 07:50 PM

If you do decide to get new doors from The Mini Door Company you will need filler in them, I'd advise getting them bare so you can rub the etch off to see what damage is there. We also seal the lip of the door skin

#5 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 08:03 PM

as above - gentle twisting sound's like it is required

I usually find it's the top that sticks out & lets water in

on mk3 onwards , before twisting , I would loosen the nuts a bit (carefully) & twist the door

but don't think this will help with the outer hinges

I wouldn't bother with new doors - as you could end up with more work than you started with

best of luck

#6 Eddie B

Eddie B

Just On Tickover

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 09:49 AM

Many thanks for the suggestions and recommendations. I'm not keen on the prospect of buying replacement doors only to find them full of filler which is mentioned!

Fortunately my mini is garaged when not in use so making the doors watertight before covering the as yet bare floors can wait. I intend to go to the Mini show in Stafford in January after which I can get stuck in to the van and get it sorted out. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users