gronkjor

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 09 December 2019 - 03:59 PM

Hi! 

As some of you might have seen on another thread I am in the process of changing to 10s on my MPI. 

The 10s are going to be for summer use only though, and for that reason I was wondering what the best option is for winter use. 

I currently use the Yoko A539 but I am strongly considering fitting a set of winter tyres. 

That said.. Are there any decent winter tyres around? I have only found Nankangs and Maxxis and neither seems to have very good reviews in tests. 

I want to find a 12 inch set, as I'll be using my old 12s for winter use. 

Thanks 

Rasmus 

#2 andy3lliott

andy3lliott

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 04:14 PM

i had the nankangs a couple of years ago on  my mpi on a spare set of 12''

i think they were pretty good allot better than the 13'' sportpacks in the winter/snow

very reasonable money at the time i think they cost me £115 £120 for 4 and i had them fitted

#3 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 04:59 PM

I see you are in Denmark, in case you weren't aware, as it is not law here, most UK drivers of regular cars do not bother with winter tyres, unless they live somewhere really remote or with particularly bad roads or access.

Hence most Classic Mini owners in the UK do not bother with winter tyres, especially as the majority of Classic Mini owners don't drive their cars in the winter - I know there are some that do and I salute you!

I'm sure someone will say otherwise, but in the South at least it's not something I myself have ever done, even on my daily drive.

Sorry not to be of more help.

Hi! 

As some of you might have seen on another thread I am in the process of changing to 10s on my MPI. 

The 10s are going to be for summer use only though, and for that reason I was wondering what the best option is for winter use. 

I currently use the Yoko A539 but I am strongly considering fitting a set of winter tyres. 

That said.. Are there any decent winter tyres around? I have only found Nankangs and Maxxis and neither seems to have very good reviews in tests. 

Thanks 

Rasmus 

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 09 December 2019 - 05:48 PM

The Nankangs winters seem to have good reviews on google. I have some of their summer tyres on the Suzuki and I am very impressed with them for the price. When I need to swap out the Conti winters I will be giving the Nankangs a go.

#5 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 09:38 AM

I can’t answer specifically to what are good winter tyres on the mini, but I used to run the A539s all the time and they were fine here in UK. However, that won’t necessarily be the case in Denmark.

Having lived in Germany for a few years, and legally required to fit winter tyres (normal cars, not minis), I now do the same in the UK. They do make a difference in the cold and wet weather, and if the snow comes I know I can get most places. I also occasionally go back to Germany, or Belgium and having winter tyres in the worse weather is always good. However, I fully understand why most people don’t bother in the UK.

#6 gronkjor

gronkjor

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 01:34 PM

I see you are in Denmark, in case you weren't aware, as it is not law here, most UK drivers of regular cars do not bother with winter tyres, unless they live somewhere really remote or with particularly bad roads or access.

Hence most Classic Mini owners in the UK do not bother with winter tyres, especially as the majority of Classic Mini owners don't drive their cars in the winter - I know there are some that do and I salute you!

I'm sure someone will say otherwise, but in the South at least it's not something I myself have ever done, even on my daily drive.

Sorry not to be of more help.

Hi! 

Thanks 

Rasmus 

You don't legally have to drive with winter tyres here either. That said most people tend to do it. Weather wise its not too different from the UK. We rarely have snow and temparatures are between 0-8 degrees with the odd few days of frost. 

In my 10 year Mini ownership it is only the second winter where the Mini will be on the roads. I recently moved from Copenhagen to the countryside, and for that reason I need a car everyday. Was planning to buy a cheap second car, but figured that the price of an extra car with insurance, repairs etc. would end up making it much cheaper (and greater!) to just drive the Mini. The money I am saving is going to a specials savings account for the Mini, so I can pay someone to replace the front end within the next 3-5 years. It is also covered in tectyl (is it called that in English?) underneath, so rust shouldn't be too bad everything considered..  

#7 gronkjor

gronkjor

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 01:34 PM

The Nankangs winters seem to have good reviews on google. I have some of their summer tyres on the Suzuki and I am very impressed with them for the price. When I need to swap out the Conti winters I will be giving the Nankangs a go.

Right seems like Nankangs are the ones to go for then, if I do buy some. Thanks! 

#8 gronkjor

gronkjor

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 01:39 PM

I can’t answer specifically to what are good winter tyres on the mini, but I used to run the A539s all the time and they were fine here in UK. However, that won’t necessarily be the case in Denmark.

Having lived in Germany for a few years, and legally required to fit winter tyres (normal cars, not minis), I now do the same in the UK. They do make a difference in the cold and wet weather, and if the snow comes I know I can get most places. I also occasionally go back to Germany, or Belgium and having winter tyres in the worse weather is always good. However, I fully understand why most people don’t bother in the UK.

Mmh.. One of my main concerns with buying a whole set of winter tyres is that they aren't that much better than the A539s. Really can't figure it out. The A539s seems fine now, but then again I haven't been anywhere near an emergency braking situation or anything like that.  

That said I can get a whole set of Nankangs for about 120 pounds, so not too bad I guess.

#9 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 10 December 2019 - 01:41 PM

Right seems like Nankangs are the ones to go for then, if I do buy some. Thanks! 

the only thing that I would be asking the seller when you do get some (whatever make) is what rubber mix is used. as there is a Nordic (Scandy) mix and a central Europe Mix used by some companies. the mix is changed to suit the normal Winter temps. the colder the softer the rubber. My Swedish Rubber was way better than my German rubber in the real cold but wore out on the tarmac surfaces.

#10 gronkjor

gronkjor

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 01:53 PM

the only thing that I would be asking the seller when you do get some (whatever make) is what rubber mix is used. as there is a Nordic (Scandy) mix and a central Europe Mix used by some companies. the mix is changed to suit the normal Winter temps. the colder the softer the rubber. My Swedish Rubber was way better than my German rubber in the real cold but wore out on the tarmac surfaces.

Thanks for that advice. Its these that I'm looking at: https://www.daekonli...rn&typ=R-318558

No idea whether they are the right ones  :shades:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users