#1 dmandan

dmandan

Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 09:14 AM

Hi All,

I'm in the process of replacing radius arms and manage to shear the bolts off in the captive nuts (DAMN) so the subframe is coming out.

My question is, has anyone done this? Do you need to interrupt the fuel system? Haynes says you need to remove the fuel filter, disconnect it and block the lines. BUT it looks like the frame will come out without having to disco the filter.

Has anyone done this to their SPI?

#2 Gilles1000

Gilles1000

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 10:23 AM

You will have to disconnect the fuel (the tank needs to go out to have access to the subframe screws)

Fuel and brake lines have to be disconnected as they link the subrframe and the body.

Same for the handbrake cables and battery cable

Done it on my carb Mini but basically it's the same procedure (my fuel filter was at the front of the car)

Cheers 

Gilles

#3 dmandan

dmandan

Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 11:08 AM

Hi Giles, 

I've got the tank loose in the boot, you sure it needs to be fully disco'd?

#4 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 12:09 PM

Hi Giles,

I've got the tank loose in the boot, you sure it needs to be fully disco'd?

Isn't your filter fixed to the subframe?
It should be OK, but it might require a third hand to be grown...
What captive nut is it? Can't you fix it with it on?
Ben

Edited by MacGyver, 13 December 2019 - 12:11 PM.

#5 Gilles1000

Gilles1000

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 12:11 PM

you may be right, I just checked the pictures I made while dismantling the rear subframe, didn't see any clear view of it.

Possible as well that I disconnected everything before dropping the subframe.

But, I checked the thread from Ben, and it seems from what I can see that you can dismount the filter from the subframe without disconnecting the lines

http://www.theminifo...-5-years/page-9

#6 dmandan

dmandan

Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 01:30 PM

@ben the captive nuts on the outer radius arm bracket the heads sheared off leaving the rest in the inaccessible part of the subframe, i haven't tried any removal tools yet.

The filter is clamped to the subframe but from what i can see I should be able to unbolt the filter, leave it all intact and the subby should clear it, maybe i'm missing something though and will be mopping petrol off the garage floor?

#7 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 05:38 PM

Other than the battery cable and brake lines there isn't much left... Apart from rust. ?
Take care with the 4bolts securing it to the back of the floor, you don't want do those too. ?

#8 dmandan

dmandan

Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 03:52 PM

Other than the battery cable and brake lines there isn't much left... Apart from rust.
Take care with the 4bolts securing it to the back of the floor, you don't want do those too.

the front mount bolts have come loose very easily the rear ones into the boot look to be rusted solid but at least they're easily accessible

I'm guessing you're warning about the front ones right as you'd be looking at a painful job to fix a snapped bolt in there?

#9 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:06 PM

Other than the battery cable and brake lines there isn't much left... Apart from rust.
Take care with the 4bolts securing it to the back of the floor, you don't want do those too.

the front mount bolts have come loose very easily the rear ones into the boot look to be rusted solid but at least they're easily accessible

I'm guessing you're warning about the front ones right as you'd be looking at a painful job to fix a snapped bolt in there?
Yep, those ones. Funnily all the minis I took the subframe off, some where pretty crusty, I never had one of those 4bolts sheer. Just lucky, until now I guess, but as I've just said it the next one I take off will snap. ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users