16 replies to this topic

#1 Wreckitralph1

Wreckitralph1

Formally known as wreckitralph

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 06:15 PM

somebody in nottingham tried to take 5 different amounts   and put onto a barclaycard  my bank became suspicious and stopped  the transaction as it was large amounts can only be through ebay really as i dont do anything online  be careful pepes

#2 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 09:27 PM

It is the season .......  My wife got a bill for a purchase of over $900 dollars in Best Buy (I assume it was a TV) in another state. The credit card company is investigating.... The same card company had sent her a letter just days before that they had been hacked and had replaced her card. Apparently the new card was hacked too. Now she is on a third card...... we will see.

#3 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 23 December 2019 - 12:04 AM

I was rung by someone claiming to be a policeman who said my card had been used to buy a £900-00 TV.

He sounded a bit amature, so I asked him, in a distraught voice, if he was absolutely sure that it was my Lloyds bank account, and not someone else's.

He said that there was no doubt.  It was definitely my Lloyds account.

"Oh, what a relief" I said, "I bank with NatWest"

#4 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,093 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 23 December 2019 - 12:40 AM

Someone somewhere must have a massive pile of t.v's that they do not watch.....

Must get at least one delivered, everyday......

#5 Wreckitralph1

Wreckitralph1

Formally known as wreckitralph

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 11:12 AM

seems more and more of it my gran had a call from someone claiming to be from the inland revenue about an outstanding bill that if she paid today wouldnt go to court and incur further costs shes 82 but shes sharp as a tack  and didnt fall for it    another is a  call claiming to be an outstanding bill for internet she said well thats funny   because ime 82 and dont have internet or a mobile  and hung up

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,843 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 23 December 2019 - 05:24 PM

I'm sorry to read of this and the huge headache and on going issues as well as 'doubts' you'll carry from this for years to come.

I often wonder if the 'on-line' way of this new brave world really is a good idea and the way forward?  I can't help but look at it all and say to myself " it's just asking to be ripped off ".

Just this month, they have released Digital Driver's Licenses in the State where I live where your Driver's License is uploaded (via the Internet) on to your Smart Phone. Apparently, the take up has been huge - is it just me or can't people see the danger in this? Apart from being hackable - and I don't care for what ever security is claimed to be in place - if the police ask to see your license and your battery is flat or your screen is cracked, they'll fine you for not carrying your license  O_O  Oh and these 'Phone (Phoney?) Licenses' are not recognised in other states.

Yeap, makes perfect sense.

#7 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 10:09 PM

I urge you all to check your password strength here, or a variation of it, it may show how easy your password is to hack:

https://howsecureismypassword.net

#8 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 23 December 2019 - 11:50 PM

Oh sure, type in all your passwords...... :shy:

#9 monkey

monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Local Club: Diss Mini Club

Posted 24 December 2019 - 07:11 AM

The thing is what ever the system there’s always gonna be hackers. If you only use cash, people will try and rob you, if you use a card people will try and clone it, online, people will try and hack your online banking.

If you are concerned about online banking I would urge you to change passwords regularly and use a different password for each site. There’s risks with everything but you need to take steps to reduce the risks

#10 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 10:19 AM

I don’t have time for a full reply.

For years we have been told to have complex passwords but people are lazy and substitute obvious numbers in thinking it’s hard to crack. It’s not. Rainbow tables mean a lot of passwords can be cracked fairly easily, and the hashes of millions of passwords are already known.

Instead of 8-12 characters of mixed characters, four mid-length, unconnected random words are better, for example

Elephantvictoryabacusinformation

You can add symbols and numbers if you want but it’s been shown as much harder to crack. They have to be unrelated with no chance of appearing together in a normal sentence.

Also be wary of sites (like this one!) that don’t have a padlock or lock symbol in the address bar. Use different passwords, and also use different email addresses. For you most sensitive financial stuff, use a random email with no personal information in it and don’t tell anyone. Then have a semi serious one and then a throw away one for sites such as this. It creates separation. Don’t worry about the banks and Amazon being hacked, they have resources to protect themselves. Small forums and random sites typically don’t and so your password is more likely to get cracked. Using that same combination all over the internet is a disaster waiting to happen.

Haveibeenpwned.com will tell you if your email address has been recorded as part of a breach anywhere. It was set up by a cyber security guy. I don’t think it records your details but doesn’t ask you for passwords.

Finally, never ever give out your details to anyone who calls you whoever they claim to be. Don’t even confirm if they give you details. Never click links you aren’t expecting. iTunes, Amazon and HMRC scams always common.

I could go on for ages, but I won’t! This time of year the scams are even more prevalent, have a good Christmas all.

#11 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 10:37 AM

why not? its anon, and as I said type in a variation, just shows up how unsecure most are.

Oh sure, type in all your passwords...... :shy:

#12 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 11:02 AM

To be fair, most of these sites just calculate if you have a symbol, number, upper case and lower case. Beyond that, most aren’t that good. The four unrelated words are harder to crack than a short one with numbers, but those sites will say the opposite because it won’t register a number and a symbol. The random one would / could be better if it was pure gibberish, but rarely do people do that for everything unless they use a password manager in which case they are all quite long.

Of course, people then protect their phone with 111111 or something equally as poor which gives access to everything. Two factor authentication well worth enabling if it’s an option, but also not foolproof.

#13 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 24 December 2019 - 11:56 AM

Most of my passwords are in Manx gaelic, utter gibberish to 99.99999% of people :-)

#14 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,093 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 24 December 2019 - 01:07 PM

I had some call centre all me about a crash I was In. They asked about my injury...

I said I was fatally injured........ They still tried to take my personal details.... I said my address was my local cemetery.....

NEVER had any calls since.....

#15 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 08:36 PM

Best thing for security is to use a 2 factor security. Cant log in to any of my accounts without having the passwords and my phone, wich is only accessible with a fingerprint scanner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users