#1 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 31 December 2019 - 01:21 PM

My inherited car is slowly becoming the project that I knew it would.The steering rack needs to come out,the subframe mounts are being changed to solid mounts and the CV boots are split.Taking all this into account I looked at the engine bay and it really is very scruffy.I have removed the engine before and removed the subframe before but not together.I am not asking for a detailed account of how to do it as I can work that out.

To those who have actually done it:is it a royal pain?did you wish you had never started?Looking forward to your advice,Steve..

#2 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 31 December 2019 - 01:58 PM

No,   it is not a pain;  if the subframe is supported back and front on something squidgy like old tyes, so that the engine can be eased as the body is lifted with a hoist/pulley blocks, it can be done by you on your own.

Just make sure that everything  is disconnected between the body and the engine/subframe.

#3 jonsharman

jonsharman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 05:05 PM

I've done it both ways - engine and frame out together and engine out then subframe out. Personally I thought the former would be easier but I found it a bit of trauma. I will say that removing the whole lot in one go was an Auto engine thus is heavier and does sit lower in the frame and that added to the effort.

From an ease and safety perspective I'd lift the engine from the top then drop the frame from the bottom.

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 31 December 2019 - 05:07 PM

I would only pull the engine out. Then drop the rear of the subframe and do the rack and the rear and top mounts. Then do the front mounts. Tidy up and put the engine back. Doing the CV boots and any other stuff while the engine is out.

#5 OhDear

OhDear

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 05:27 PM

little off topic but  maybe rethink solid subframe mounts many report them to be to harsh a ride 

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,923 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 31 December 2019 - 05:44 PM

I've done it both ways and found getting the subframe and engine out together a real pain. There's no time saved and you end up with one heavy lump that's difficult to move and work around - which needs to get split up any way.

#7 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 06:02 PM

Thanks for your insight,I have started removing stuff and will probably decide on the course of action tomorrow.My much less sentimental brother told me to sell this when I was given it and make it someone else's problem,I am almost beginning to wish I did.Although it was a daily driver until his family outgrew it every part I touch seems to be almost at the end of its life.Ah well tomorrow is another day.Steve...

#8 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,414 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 07:05 PM

It'll be easier than you think and it really pays off once you've knocked off some off the crud and replaced a few nuts 'n bolts so it comes apart and can be worked on as it was supposed to do.

It's the rear subby you want to worry about #captivenuts  >_<

If you're removing both, I don't see why you can't play it by ear. It is a big awkward lump with the engine & subby wobbling against each other on just the engine mounts. But there's nothing stopping you from dropping both together where it helps with access and then lifting the engine out the top, or even suspending the body and engine while you drag the subframe out from below. I would say it's handy to have it on its wheels (with steering) so you can push the car out from under the lifted engine if you don't have a proper crane on a nice flat surface with plenty of room to manoeuvre.

If you're going to do solid mounts, taking the frame fully off is the best way to go so you can properly plate the toe board - I reckon they're worth the effort.

#9 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 31 December 2019 - 09:15 PM

I once lifted the body of over the sub-frame/engine. That was in 1969 - never again!

You will love the car when you have solid mounts. It vastly improves the steering response and the car feels better to drive. That is how it was designed to be. It was only changed to cater for the change in target market from mainly young people to middle-aged ladies.

#10 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 09:32 PM

Took a coffee into garage and studied some more,I will pull the engine and then deal with the subframe.Back subframe is good and captive nuts OK as I checked them when I renewed the sills last month.All good fun.Steve..

#11 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 10:38 AM

If you do want to remove both engine a d subframe together the best way is to undo all the mounts except the towers with tj3 car on stands (under the subframe).

Drop the whole lot onto a trolley under the subframe, remove the tower bolts and then jack the body up and slide the engine and subframe out.

I've done loads like this and it was always nice and easy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users