5 replies to this topic

#1 Mini auto?

Mini auto?

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 09:37 PM

Hi, What engine conversions have been done with an automatic gearbox? I only have one arm so I have no option but to drive autos, I've searched the internet and can't find any information on engine conversions with auto boxes. Any info/recommendations would be greatfully received. Cheers

#2 MikeJE

MikeJE

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Local Club: LSMO

Posted 01 January 2020 - 01:15 PM

There are discussions about this on the automini register so that may be a useful start. There are concerns about the power an auto box can handle (assuming you are thinking about the classic mini auto).

http://autominiregister.proboards.com/

Hope that helps

best wishes

Mike

Edited by MikeJE, 01 January 2020 - 01:15 PM.

#3 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 01 January 2020 - 02:03 PM

I can't see that it'd make too much difference. Maybe decide which conversions interest you and look for Haynes, workshop manual etc to see what's different between the manuals & autos. If it was a bike conversion you could maybe rig up a foot shifter - or get really creative and convert a manual to an electronic controlled preselector, licence permitting.

#4 fuzzy-hair-man

fuzzy-hair-man

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Local Club: Minis in the Gong

Posted 02 January 2020 - 09:22 AM

I think you may have posted on the Nissan powered mini Facebook group, I didn't reply because I had nothing definate to add.
The micra cvt box is larger than the manual box which would make it a bit harder to fit between the wings, most but not all micra conversions keep the mini radiator in the original spot sitting over the gearbox, the cvt is a bit higher in this area so it would make it a bit more difficult to keep the side mounted radiator. A clubman front gives you more room so you could then easily do a front mount radiator.
If it helps you could start the conversion using the cvt and if the radiator and gearbox becomes an issue work on it or put on a clubman front.
The other option that is worth investigating is that Nissan ga engines bolt up to cg gearboxes so a ga automatic box may be smaller that the micra cvt and give you the room required. The micra conversion has the most room of any 4 cylinder car engine conversion I've seen so it would offer a very good chance of fitting I'd say.
Lastly I have a friend in Australia who is very knowledgeable about minis who is doing a cg13de cvt into a mini for his wife, if you are interested I can pass on his details via pm.

Edited by fuzzy-hair-man, 02 January 2020 - 09:24 AM.

#5 DomCr250

DomCr250

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Local Club: 16V mini club

Posted 02 January 2020 - 10:16 AM

Good thread on here under the Honda engine swaps - member in the US swapping in a Honda engine and auto box.

You could also consider a Suzuki Swift auto - the gearbox is similar size to manual box ...with the 8V engine you get about 75hp and with the Swift GTI 110hp.  I think Allspeed offer a subframe and the driveshafts are the same as the manual box.

#6 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 02 January 2020 - 12:12 PM

There was a jolly interesting old boy at Castle Combe last summer who had done an auto Swift conversion, so that his wife could also drive it;  and it looked a neat fit.

We mostly chatted about the mods that are needed, to a blown straight 6 BMW K1600 that he was slotting into a Caterham.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users