#1 MikeJE

MikeJE

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Local Club: LSMO

Posted 01 January 2020 - 01:08 PM

Once again I would very much appreciate the wisdom of the forum.

I have had my 998 engine and gearbox reconditioned and, having reinstalled them, I have found that the (remote) gear-lever does not seem to move correctly. When putting into 1st, instead of moving in the 12 o’clock direction it seems to go more towards 10 o’clock direction. Second is more towards 5 o’clock than 6 o’clock as it should be. Third, fourth and reverse seem to be ok, but there is also a bit of slack so it’s not easy to tell.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Happy New Year to everyone

Best wishes

Mike

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,937 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 01 January 2020 - 01:29 PM

Sorry but it sounds right. My 1st and 2nd are not straight up and down.

#3 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 01 January 2020 - 05:12 PM

You might also find the the shifter housing has rotated a little. There's a big nut (3/4" AF) on the steady bar on top, slacken that off and let the housing find it's happy spot - assuming the mounts and brackets are in good order, then tighten the nut up again.

#4 floormanager

floormanager

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Sussex

Posted 01 January 2020 - 05:53 PM

1st on mine is more 11 O'Clock.

#5 MikeJE

MikeJE

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 10:39 PM

Many thanks Nicklouse and Floormanager, that’s reassuring to know it may be normal although I must say I don’t remember it to be like that previously.

You might also find the the shifter housing has rotated a little. There's a big nut (3/4" AF) on the steady bar on top, slacken that off and let the housing find it's happy spot - assuming the mounts and brackets are in good order, then tighten the nut up again.

Moke - my mini has the remote gearchange in the casing. Not sure where the nut you mention is located so very grateful if you could describe how to find it, please.

Many thanks

Mike

#6 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,937 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:23 PM

Many thanks Nicklouse and Floormanager, that’s reassuring to know it may be normal although I must say I don’t remember it to be like that previously.

Moke - my mini has the remote gearchange in the casing. Not sure where the nut you mention is located so very grateful if you could describe how to find it, please.

Many thanks

Mike

I guess he missed the bit about the remote.

#7 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:59 PM

Did you mark the spline where the slit in the toggle clamps tighten ?  and are you sure that the toggles are on their correct splines ?

#8 MikeJE

MikeJE

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 12:41 PM

Did you mark the spline where the slit in the toggle clamps tighten ?  and are you sure that the toggles are on their correct splines ?

Guessworks did the overhaul and I am sure they would have replaced the toggles in the correct place. Do you know if there is there an easy way to check - the mechanism is really difficult to get to with the engine in the car - or is it just a question of trying to gain access to loosen the clamps and then trial and error to get it right?

As always, many thanks for everyone's advice

Best wishes

Mike

#9 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 02 January 2020 - 12:58 PM

I don't know of an easy way to check, but depending how much oil was flying about, it was often possible to detect which spline had been in the slit, but unlikely in your case as Guessworks probably cleaned everything.

If you ever take anything off a spline, try and run a bit of a hacksaw blade through the slit first.

I hadn't been playing with engines long, before I realised that it made good sense, when I could, to see if it worked on the bench (floor) before I put it into a vehicle.

P.S.   The toggle on the shaft coming up through the diff housing is the one that I would study closely.

Edited by DeadSquare, 02 January 2020 - 07:12 PM.

#10 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 02 January 2020 - 05:35 PM

Many thanks

Mike

I guess he missed the bit about the remote.

Yes, I did :shy:

If it does feel wrong, then as the other guys have suggested, it could be a spline out or one of the knuckles have been refitted back to front.

#11 MikeJE

MikeJE

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 04:47 PM

Many thanks everyone. I spoke to ever helpful John at Guessworks who reassured me that 1st gear should be heading for the glovebox, so panic over. I did, though, check that all the clamps were tight.

With best wishes

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users