3 replies to this topic

#1 rihan97

rihan97

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 01:25 PM

Okay I know it may sound cheesy but I've always loved minis. I have a shell of a mini that was my grandads. Id love to build it up into a car that I want with the sentimental value and uniqueness of this mini. Trouble is that I'm a complete novice and am wondering whether it would be better to build it from the ground up or purchase a donor car and swap the shells. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

#2 Chris M

Chris M

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 07:00 PM

To be honest if you want to retain the sentimental value then you would really need to restore the original shell. If you used a donor shell it would no longer be your grandads car.

#3 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 07:20 PM

first thing to understand is whether or not you still have the registration documents for car, or know the registration number and/or VIN to apply for a replacement if the original has been lost.

there's very few panels that are no longer available, so no matter how rotten the car is it could probably be saved if you're willing to invest the time, effort and money into it.

we were all novices at some point, but the good thing nowadays is that it's never been easier to find good advice on how to tackle all the different aspects of restoring, maintaining and running these cars.

if you can post up some pictures of the car it'll help to get an idea of what you're facing 

#4 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 02 January 2020 - 07:26 PM

Purchase a donor car, but don't swap the shells.

Put "grandads shell" in the corner of the front room to sit in when watching TV , where you can love it and keep it warm and dry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users