L3YLND

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Local Club: Victorian Mini Club

Posted 05 January 2020 - 08:35 AM

Hey guys,

A few days before christmas, I was moving the van from our old house to the new one.. 11th drive in 12 months!
The following images is the aftermath of what happened. \

Long story short, I was rolling foward and not paying attention and the car infront had stopped in the middle of the road after leaving a service station. BANG!

Anyway.

I'm new to the panel side of minis, I have a close freind who is handy with a MIG and has offered to help perform the needed surgery.

I'm slightly confused between all the front aprons available, I understand branding such as heritage etc

My van's current apron doesn't have any sort of vertical panels but all the replacements online do?

I'll upload some pictures on here and see if I can get a hand!

Any helpful input is much appreciated!

Happy new year to you all!

Attached Files

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,844 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 05 January 2020 - 09:30 AM

They are one piece. I think some that you may have been looking at might have been repair panels, where they are not the whole panel, but part thereof for repairs and looking at yours, could well do you.

If you want to replace the whole panel, this would be about as close as you'll get

https://minisport.co...genuine-version

#3 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 05 January 2020 - 09:52 AM

A good old-fashioned panel-beater could knock that back into near shape for you.

I don't think Jesus would recommend replacing the panels;  it would be like putting new wine in old bottles.

Replace them when you do up the bodywork.

#4 L3YLND

L3YLND

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Local Club: Victorian Mini Club

Posted 05 January 2020 - 10:24 AM

They are one piece. I think some that you may have been looking at might have been repair panels, where they are not the whole panel, but part thereof for repairs and looking at yours, could well do you.

If you want to replace the whole panel, this would be about as close as you'll get

Thats what I was looking at, see it has vertical supports and my car doesn't? perhaps they have been cut out to fit the cooler at some point.

A good old-fashioned panel-beater could knock that back into near shape for you.

I don't think Jesus would recommend replacing the panels;  it would be like putting new wine in old bottles.

Replace them when you do up the bodywork.

Hmm.. we have "massaged" it out so I could drive the car to my house, the bar was rubbing into the front tyre and couldn't really turn right at that point.

I think I'll still opt to replace the front apron.. the bonnet also doesn't open anymore, guess its all bent

#5 MrBounce

MrBounce

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 11:40 AM

My van's current apron doesn't have any sort of vertical panels but all the replacements online do?

It looks to me that your front panel has been modified at some point to allow space for the oil cooler that's been fitted. The upright "post" was probably removed then. 

#6 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 12:52 PM

It looks to me that your front panel has been modified at some point to allow space for the oil cooler that's been fitted. The upright "post" was probably removed then. 

Looks like a van front panel that has had the grille chopped out so a mk1 grille could be fitted.

#7 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,844 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 05 January 2020 - 06:27 PM

Thats what I was looking at, see it has vertical supports and my car doesn't? perhaps they have been cut out to fit the cooler at some point.

Ah, OK, gotya now.

It would have originally have the vertical stiffener in there. Many people cut them out to give better access.

I'm sorry, I meant to say I'm sorry at what happened here, you must have felt gutted at the time, but it could have been worse.

Looks like a van front panel that has had the grille chopped out so a mk1 grille could be fitted.

Ah, Alex, our Aust Vans were a little different to your UK ones mate, all ours had a removable grill like the saloon models  ;D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users