6 replies to this topic

#1 Sugarbear6

Sugarbear6

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 02:50 PM

I've got a '94 Rover Mini 1725 RHD.  It has the 2 gauge cluster behind the steering wheel. My fuel and temp gauges both quit working the other day.  From what I read, it's probably the Voltage Stabilizer mounted on the back of the gauge cluster.  According to the Haynes shop manual, you place your fingers behind the lower corners and pull the bezel out and up to remove it.  I did that and it came loose at the bottom, but is still "hooked" at the top.  What am I doing wrong?

#2 Its a min

Its a min

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 06:00 PM

I've got a '94 Rover Mini 1725 RHD.  It has the 2 gauge cluster behind the steering wheel. My fuel and temp gauges both quit working the other day.  From what I read, it's probably the Voltage Stabilizer mounted on the back of the gauge cluster.  According to the Haynes shop manual, you place your fingers behind the lower corners and pull the bezel out and up to remove it.  I did that and it came loose at the bottom, but is still "hooked" at the top.  What am I doing wrong?

There should be two clips at the bottom and two at the top. Sounds like you've released the bottom so now do the same but at the top of the bezel.

#3 Sugarbear6

Sugarbear6

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 05:41 PM

Minor success.  I got the bezel off, and the cluster released.  I can't get the speedometer cable to release from the back of the gauge.  It doesn't have the old style screw on end.  It's a nylon push on with 2 tabs you're supposed to squeeze to get the cable to release.  Squeeze as much as I can and it doesn't release.  Suggestions?

Also, does anyone have a photo of the back side of the 2 gauge panel, showing where the voltage stabilizer is plugged in?  I did get the gauge cluster to move forward a bit, despite not being able to remove the speedometer cable and couldn't see a voltage stabilizer, hence the need for a picture.  To remove the wire harness plug in, is it just pull it off, or are there tabs to release?

Thanks all for your inputs.

#4 masslaw

masslaw

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Local Club: Victoria Mini Owners Club

Posted 23 April 2020 - 06:09 AM

The only way I could get that plastic cable release was to just pry it off.  It is very hard to get to.

I'm hoping it goes back on.

#5 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 07:47 AM

With regard to releasing the speedometer cable, just before you start to squeeze the 2 tabs, push the connector BACK into the speedometer and then try disconnecting it.

Sort of Push, Squeeze, Pull.

It also helps if you have small strong hands, I haven't, mine are massive.

Another tip that may help with this and other situations. Try wearing an old rubber glove. The type you may have to do the washing up. But must be fairly old because they go a bit tacky with use. If you're trying grip things in a small space with your finger tips could make all the difference. An old rubber glove is pretty useful when you have stuck lids on jam jars and bottles as well!

Edited by MikeRotherham, 23 April 2020 - 07:49 AM.

#6 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 08:38 AM

And the bad news might be....on a '94 I don't think the stabiliser is a replaceable part, it is integral to the gauge PCBs.

#7 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 23 April 2020 - 09:07 AM

And the bad news might be....on a '94 I don't think the stabiliser is a replaceable part, it is integral to the gauge PCBs.

Its internal but can be replaced there is a thread about it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users