4 replies to this topic

#1 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 04:20 PM

I think I already know the answer but I would just like to double check please.

I intend on turbo charging my standard 998 with around 8psi fairly conservative boost with a hope of getting 80ish horse without braking the bank.

I have most of what I need now with the exception of smaller parts oil lines etc.

My questions is I have a very good condition 12g202 which will need the chambers opening up a little bit not too much 1.5cc approx. Will this likely achieve my goals or should I spend a considerable amount of money on a 12g295 and fit pretty much untouched. Just wondered if anyone else has experience of 202 on a turbo 998.

Thanks
Andy

#2 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 05 January 2020 - 09:30 PM

The 202 performs pretty poorly in standard form, but can be made to work well with a bit of work. The 295 on the other hand has the majority of the required work already done for you.
Though your HP target isn’t huge you might struggle to make 80hp on a stock 998 @8psi. I’d imagine 70 may be more realistic.

Phil.

#3 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

• Members
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 12:17 AM

Thanks for the input. Maybe worth biting the bullet and going for a 295 off of the bat then. Thank you will pass the 202 on would be a shame to butcher mess with it really.

#4 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 06 January 2020 - 09:19 AM

Be sure to fully inspect the 295 if you’re going to use it. The factory valve seats are extremely thin and wear badly. Unless it’s had very little use or been reconditioned at some point, you’ll most likely find it needs inserts and a bigger inlet valve to reclaim the seats.

Phil.

#5 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

• Members
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 09:37 AM

That’s my worry really that any 295 head I find is either knackered and needs a lot of work or has been skimmed to death.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users