#1 PIIIOWW

PIIIOWW

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 09:19 PM

Hi,
I have an L-plate SPI Cooper but want to run it with a DCOE 45 carb arrangement. All the rest of the engine spec is pretty highly tuned so the carb should be well suited to the set up. I'd like to better understand if this is actually a viable route or if it will be an out-and-out failure based on the emissions.

I understand the age of vehicle needs a lambda sensor and cat fitted regardless of whether they're actually functioning. Today I spoke to my MOTer for my daily vehicle and he said many people remove the cat etc after the MOT cert has been issued. The exhaust I've specced for the car also doesn't have a lambda sensor port and even if it did, with no ecu for fueling present, it wouldn't be feeding any data/signal back to anything. The MOT guy said just make sure a lambda sensor is fitted even if not functional and make sure the wire is presented in such a way that it's not suspected for cheating - just take the car for its MOT and see if it passes...

I'm reluctant to do this in case it's going to be a dramatic failure and wondered if anyone had any knowledge/experience on the matter.

I do have a cat in the system.

The rest of the engine spec is: 1380, high end, big valve head (29-36mm), 286 cam, 1.5:1 rockers, large bore LCB and of course the DCOE 45 carb mounted on a 5" maniflow inlet. I'm also planning to use an ignition-only ecu which could help if programmed to meet an emissions spec??

Any thoughts or discussion is welcomed.

Thanks

Edited by PIIIOWW, 06 January 2020 - 10:14 PM.

#2 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:56 AM

From my limited understanding L(92/93) will need a cat test possibly.The tester should input the vin and the system will point him to the correct test as some 92 cars were fitted with cats and carbs and there is a special exclusion for these.As yours was injected this should not apply.It is possible to get carb cars through a cat test as some Kitcar owners have done this but it will be difficult and the cat will probably die.More knowegeable people will reply but my advice is tread carefully and further explore EFI solutions.Just my 2p,Steve..

#3 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 09:02 PM

Pretty easy to work out from the testers manual if you have the registration date and the chassis no.

Attached Files

#4 PIIIOWW

PIIIOWW

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:35 PM

Thanks for the responses.

The 1990 RSP Cooper was a cat and carb combination so why would the presence of a carb foul/poison/kill the catalyst unless heavily over-fueled?

My question is more aimed to get a sense of 'will the car pass the mot on the emissions given the combination of engine and exhaust components?'

The mot guidance merely states to check a: cat, lambda sensor and egr valve are present as per the legislative requirements for the age of the vehicle. If the car will pass with the carb and cat alone that would be a perfect outcome and it would be worth fitting an exhaust system that can accommodate an O2 sensor even if the sensor is doing nothing to help the emissions.

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,929 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:59 AM

If an injection car it will need to pass the injection emissions test. Not a hope in hell. Unless I believe you can prove the engine is much older. Or some such.

#6 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 06:30 AM

If its a post August 92 car and the chassis code is listed in the emissions data book you won't get a carb'd car with a 286 cam to pass the required emissions standards.
If it's pre August 92 you may get it to scrape through.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users