4 replies to this topic

#1 Richie83

Richie83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 06:39 PM

I’ve been having a read of the .gov website on tax exemption. It states cars built before January 2019. Is that correct? Or should this be 2020? I’ve a 79 car and was hoping it’d be exempt this year.

#2 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 06:53 PM

Quote from Gov.uk Vehicles exempt from vehicle tax

You do not need to pay vehicle tax if your vehicle was built before 1 January 1979.

If you do not know when your vehicle was built, but it was first registered between 1 and 7 January 1979, you do not have to pay vehicle tax.

I believe the page has not been updated as my car is 40 years old registered on the 1st of January 1980 so I will be tax and MOT exempt from the 1st April 2020

#3 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 08:59 PM

i assume you meant January 79 not January 2019 ?

if so, then the advice is correct as cars built before 1st January 1980 won't be eligible for tax exemption 'til April 1st this year (.at which point they'd presumably update the page)

#4 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 09:13 PM

You'll need to go through the process of registering the car as a historic vehicle first, and then 'tax' the car each year, even though it'll be zero rated. Taxed my exempt MG earlier today, took about 30 seconds.

#5 Richie83

Richie83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 08:25 PM

i assume you meant January 79 not January 2019 ?

if so, then the advice is correct as cars built before 1st January 1980 won't be eligible for tax exemption 'til April 1st this year (.at which point they'd presumably update the page)

ah okay. So I’ll have to pay now. But then in April, assuming it passes through the budget again, I can ask for an exemption then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users