#16 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 11 January 2020 - 12:34 PM

Is the Allegro not the one with the horizontal oil filter screwed directly to the block?

Not that I recall, not even the 998's!  >_<

The inline version used in the Marina did though

#17 ace01

ace01

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 11 January 2020 - 01:51 PM

I think the Maestro 1300 had a MPi style filter arrangement.

#18 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,935 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 11 January 2020 - 06:35 PM

While there were many different castings over the years, it is one of the Automotive Industries remarkable engines. If memory serves, it was first on the drawing board either just before or during the war, eventually going in to production in 1951, went through a few transformations, in particular in it's later years to meet ever stricter and more difficult emission requirements, of different types for different markets, and lasted until 2000 - all the way on a Cast Iron Head, for the most part, the layout was also unchanged. There'd only be few such engines from any manufacturer that would equal or better this.

The more I look in to various design feature of the engine, it's layout and keeping in mind that it had to be a mass production engine for passenger cars the Austin people who did the original design work really knew their stuff well and did an incredible job.

I don't think there's a listing as such compiled, but the book written by Graham Robson - ' The A Series Engine, it;s First 60 Years ' is a great and informative read. Do a search on the Forum, mab01uk has posted some extracts from it.

#19 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 07:34 PM

In terms of different casting's it depends how far you want to dig, as there are different castings for the same series block, for ecample the early 1100 blocks couldnt be bored as much as the later ones, also theres two wfm1024 A+ blocks ( or more) below is a list of some block numbers,

http://www.minispare...rs.aspx?1~1~234

In addition to this there are a couple of Pre A+ block, as some have a hole above the centre main bearing and were allegenly weaker.

ttheres also the south african 1100  blocks which along with the Maestro blocks have the filer up top look like an MPI one bit wih a dizzy hole.

Ive wondered if the innocenti's used different castings.

#20 62S

62S

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Local Club: You must be joking!

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:54 AM

Ive wondered if the Innocenti's used different castings.

I think most Innos used UK supplied engines, Authi did their own engines and South Africa and Australia had a mix of UK and their own.

The 997 Cooper has its own casting initially.
There was an inline 1098 unit with 2" mains for Sprites and Midgets.
Thin and thick flange variants of the 12A497 commonised small bore unit.
At least three versions of the AEG151 S block
At least three versions of the AEG312 S block

BMC had a habit of changing castings but not changing the casting number.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users