#1 Spackaveli32

Spackaveli32

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 05:30 AM

Mini Nation,

Do I have my ignition coil wired correctly. I just reinstalled my rebuild engine, unable to get it to fire up.  Thanks in advance for the help.

Attached Files

#2 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 10 January 2020 - 07:14 AM

Possibly not unless it is positive earth,I think the connection are on the wrong way round,although this shouldn't stop it starting,Steve..

#3 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 10:08 AM

Tell us what year/model and/or have a look at which battery terminal is earthed. Are the red & black running in to the same sheathing for some sort of electronic ignition module?

#4 BaronVonchesto

BaronVonchesto

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 05:07 PM

i think you need to go back to basics in trying to get your engine to fire up. Start by checking the spark on the HT leads that would go to the dizzy, if thats okay then check you have good spark on the HT leads for all 4 spark plugs.

If you have poor or no spark its the coil or coil wiring. If you have good spark for all 4 sparkplugs then you may have bad ignition timing

are you using a points contact or electronic distributor?  Also i noticed you have a red wire going to negative and black wire going to positive on your coil. Im guessing you've flipped it around.

#5 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,917 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 10 January 2020 - 10:38 PM

If that is electronic ignition and you've reversed the wires ... it's probably fried now ...

#6 Spackaveli32

Spackaveli32

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 03:45 AM

Tell us what year/model and/or have a look at which battery terminal is earthed. Are the red & black running in to the same sheathing for some sort of electronic ignition module?

is NOT a girl, I suck with the electrical side. But, it is a 1989 Mini Coop

#7 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 12:22 PM

is NOT a girl, I suck with the electrical side. But, it is a 1989 Mini Coop

it shouldn't be +ve earth then. If I had to guess I'd say all the wires need swapping over on the coil terminals. That's purely because red typically means +ve - none of it is standard on a Mini.

It's also possible the coil doesn't match your set up. An '89 car would have been ballasted and that could be the reason for the nonstandard wiring. What else does the coil say apart from Unipart? Where's the other end of the solo red wire?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users