Photo
- - - - -

How Much Force To Press In Radius Arm Bushes?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 NDT

NDT

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 06:21 PM

Because I’m pressing some in using M12 threaded rod and it’s starting to strip the thread!

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 12 January 2020 - 06:46 PM

Something's not right there !

You'd usually by able to just get them in on an M8 Allthread rod.

#3 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 07:30 PM

As said above you should need very little pressure. I normally wind mine in with M8 all thread and 13mm spanner and the slide right in.

I’d imagine either your bearings are the wrong size or there’s something inside the bore that holding it off.

Time to pull everything apart and measure everything. If you’ve put enough pressure on the bearing to strip M12 threads you may have distorted the bearing now and it might need replacing.

#4 NDT

NDT

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:12 PM

Something fishy going on.
This is a new set of bushes from minispares going into fairly clean bores in the radius arms.

#5 NDT

NDT

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:12 PM

I’m not too worried about distortion as the bushes are going to be reamed anyway.

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,845 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 10:34 PM

I’m not too worried about distortion as the bushes are going to be reamed anyway.

Sure but I'd be worried about the Bush collapsing before you got it all the way in.

Without seeing them, the arms and measuring it's hard to say what's at issue here but doesn't seem right.

The Bushes, as you are already aware, are made from rolled material. If there's crud or a bur at the ends where they meet or indeed if they are not going in 'flat' on the ends but 'spiraling' even the slightest, they'll get bigger on the OD. I use a Press to fit them, but there's nothing in the world wrong with using threaded rod, as long as it's clean.

#7 NDT

NDT

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 10:44 PM

Thanks for your help - I will have a I’m other look tomorrow.
Seems strange that I’ve had the same problem on both radius arms.
Either I’m doing something wrong or something else is at issue!

#8 NDT

NDT

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 05:34 PM

Sure but I'd be worried about the Bush collapsing before you got it all the way in.

Without seeing them, the arms and measuring it's hard to say what's at issue here but doesn't seem right.

The Bushes, as you are already aware, are made from rolled material. If there's crud or a bur at the ends where they meet or indeed if they are not going in 'flat' on the ends but 'spiraling' even the slightest, they'll get bigger on the OD. I use a Press to fit them, but there's nothing in the world wrong with using threaded rod, as long as it's clean.

Think I might extract them, buy some new ones, double check the finish and cleanliness of the area they're going into... and start again!

#9 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,845 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 12:13 AM

Think I might extract them, buy some new ones, double check the finish and cleanliness of the area they're going into... and start again!

Have you been able to get them started or are they only going so far and getting tight ?

#10 NDT

NDT

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 06:34 PM

Have you been able to get them started or are they only going so far and getting tight ?

Getting really tight when halfway in.

The first one got all the way in apart from 3mm then I finished it off with a hammer.

#11 drs

drs

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 03:56 PM

pop them in the freezer for a few hours, it makes them smaller!! well a small amount.

i always pop any pressed in bearing in the freezer before pressing in, they go in so much easier.

press in one go, dont stop.

paul

but it should not be as hard as yours, remove an do some measurements, bore gages and a micrometer

#12 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,845 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 05:38 PM

Getting really tight when halfway in.

The first one got all the way in apart from 3mm then I finished it off with a hammer.

Well,,, OK, I guess there in then !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users