51 replies to this topic

#1 dangreen

dangreen

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 01:33 PM

I have a 1979 mini 850 with drum brakes and am attempting to replace the brake adjusters as they have seized in place. Most brake adjusters seem to be different to what I have and the only one I found that looks the same is a 3rd party part which says it is 1964-1989 I think. Anyone know of any changes to the design of the brakes/adjusters around 1964ish? The adjusters I have are a bolt with an offset cylinder on the end so when you spin the bolt the cylinder applies different amounts of pressure on the inside of the shoes. Anyone seen anything similar?

#2 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 01:52 PM

I assume you are talking about the front brakes here. There should be two adjusters on each backplate. (see below)

https://www.minispor...es-1968-on.html

The backplates are handed (Left Hand / Right Hand)

You cannot buy the adjusters separately or at least you never could in the past

#3 dangreen

dangreen

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 02:01 PM

I assume you are talking about the front brakes here. There should be two adjusters on each backplate. (see below)

https://www.minispor...es-1968-on.html

The backplates are handed (Left Hand / Right Hand)

You cannot buy the adjusters separately or at least you never could in the past

Yes. Front brakes. Ahhh. That makes sense now. I did find some on eBay but it's £10/unit and you need 4 so at that point I might as well switch out the backplates I guess. I assume that then means taking out all the internals of the brakes and fitting them to the new backplate unless I feel like shelling out extra for a whole new drum essentially?

#4 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 02:11 PM

Correct, you will need to strip the whole lot off or buy "ready made up sets". If keeping your old shoes ie not replacing them make sure you keep them in the same drums in the same orientation to allow for the pre exisitng wear. If I were you I would replace the shoes with new, and clean up the drums with sand / emery paper. Lube the new "adjusters" with copper slip to ( a small amount) to help prevent future seizures, and do not mix up the left and right hand sides. I have seen them put on "upside down" and the car feels as if its driving in reverse. The adjust that you cant get too by the Steering arm shows the backplates put on correctly. If there is no adjust behind the steering arm, the plates are on the wrong way round / orientation... I hope that makes sense

#5 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 03:01 PM

New back plates do wonders for drum brake Minis.  The adjusters often seize up due to not being adjusted for a long time, if you move them regularly they're fine. 

In addition to the above advice you'll also need to slip the drive flanges off to remove the back plates so will need new split pins, a 11/8" socket, and a torque wrench to do the nut back up with. 

#6 imack

imack

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 05:33 PM

Pre 64ish would have single leading shoes rather than the twin leading set up of later model, therefore probably different adjusters.

#7 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 06:19 PM

The single leading shoe setup had the same sort of adjuster as the rear brakes. 

I have seen an adjuster on a Mini long ago as dangreen describes with a hexagon around 5/8" AF I think.  Maybe some sort of aftermarket part that used to be available.  Didn't round off as easily but still would seize.

#8 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 06:21 PM

Actually they looked just like these.  Possibly worth a try as they're a lot cheaper than backplates.  Depends how rusty/bent your backplates are I suppose.

Edited by unburntfuelinthemorning, 13 January 2020 - 06:21 PM.

#9 dangreen

dangreen

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:27 PM

Actually they looked just like these. Possibly worth a try as they're a lot cheaper than backplates. Depends how rusty/bent your backplates are I suppose.

That's what I found but you'd need 4 of them so it's not much cheaper than buying new backplates

#10 dangreen

dangreen

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:29 PM

Correct, you will need to strip the whole lot off or buy "ready made up sets". If keeping your old shoes ie not replacing them make sure you keep them in the same drums in the same orientation to allow for the pre exisitng wear. If I were you I would replace the shoes with new, and clean up the drums with sand / emery paper. Lube the new "adjusters" with copper slip to ( a small amount) to help prevent future seizures, and do not mix up the left and right hand sides. I have seen them put on "upside down" and the car feels as if its driving in reverse. The adjust that you cant get too by the Steering arm shows the backplates put on correctly. If there is no adjust behind the steering arm, the plates are on the wrong way round / orientation... I hope that makes sense

Right. Think I'll keep my shoes as they seem in decent nick still. I'll keep that in mind, cheers.

#11 dangreen

dangreen

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:31 PM

New back plates do wonders for drum brake Minis. The adjusters often seize up due to not being adjusted for a long time, if you move them regularly they're fine.

In addition to the above advice you'll also need to slip the drive flanges off to remove the back plates so will need new split pins, a 11/8" socket, and a torque wrench to do the nut back up with.

I'm replacing my CV boots anyway so was going to need that anyway. Do you NEED a torque wrench? I have a regular socket set but I think torque wrenches are kinda pricey?

#12 dangreen

dangreen

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:32 PM

Pre 64ish would have single leading shoes rather than the twin leading set up of later model, therefore probably different adjusters.

Think I've figured it out- most of the adjusters you can buy are for the rear set not front. It's got whatever drums they were using in '79 and it seems most people just replace the backplates

#13 dangreen

dangreen

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:33 PM

Anyone got any experience with minisport backplates? They're on sale so for the two I need it's £~55 Vs ~£85 from minispares but I don't know about quality. Worth the savings?

#14 spraybeater

spraybeater

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Local Club: Mcr

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:17 PM

Anyone got any experience with minisport backplates? They're on sale so for the two I need it's £~55 Vs ~£85 from minispares but I don't know about quality. Worth the savings?

As you are a TMF member set up your discount with minispares! go to mini spares North, great bunch of guys

very helpful.

#15 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:36 PM

I'm replacing my CV boots anyway so was going to need that anyway. Do you NEED a torque wrench? I have a regular socket set but I think torque wrenches are kinda pricey?

Always worth having a torque wrench or you're just guessing, particularly for important things like the hub nut.  How about this one?

Edited by unburntfuelinthemorning, 13 January 2020 - 09:40 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users